INTERNATIONAL NEWS MIXED REACTIONS AS U.S HALTS FUNDING TO WHO OVER CORONAVIRUS By Admin Posted on April 15, 2020 4 min read 0 0 331 Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share on Pinterest Share on Linkedin The President of the United States, Donald Trump has suspended US funding to the World Health Organisation. While addressing a press conference on Tuesday, Trump said that a review will be conducted “to assess World Health Organisation’s role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the Coronavirus.” He added that “Had the WHO done its job to get medical experts into China to objectively assess the situation on the ground and to call out China’s lack of transparency, the outbreak could have been contained at its source with very little death.” “This would have saved thousands of lives and avoided worldwide economic damage. Instead, the WHO willingly took China’s assurances to face value… and defended the actions of the Chinese government,” he said. Trump had earlier accused WHO of being ‘China-centric” in its tackling of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, Trump’s decision has continued to garner reactions from world leaders. The United Nations Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres stated that “now is not the time to reduce the resources for the operations of the World Health Organisation or any other humanitarian organisation in the fight against the virus.” House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi tweeted that “now more than ever, we need the truth. And the truth is that Donald Trump dismantled the infrastructure handed to him which was meant to plan for and overcome a pandemic, resulting in unnecessary deaths and economic disaster.” Microsoft founder, Bill Gates whose foundation is one of WHO’s largest voluntary donors described the decision as being “as dangerous as it sounds,” adding that “WHO’s work is slowing the spread of COVID-19 and if that work is stopped, no other organisation can replace them. The world needs WHO now more than ever.” World leaders have urged Trump to rethink the decision, with Germany and New Zealand calling for unity, while Australia’s Prime Minister, Scott Morrison said the WHO was not immune to criticism. China has also called for the U.S to fulfill its obligations. Trump’s decision comes as cases of Coronavirus near 2 million globally and U.S accounts for 600,000 of those cases. The United States is the largest sponsor of WHO and it provided the global health body with $400 million last year.