Five suicide bombers kill 8 in Maiduguri
Eight people have been confirmed dead after multiple suicide blasts hit Maiduguri, Borno State, on Sunday, police said.
One of those killed was an operative of the Civilian-JTF, while five were suicide bombers.
Suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers struck at different locations late on Sunday.
PREMIUM TIMES had earlier reported two deaths from the first suicide bombing, quoting an official of the Civilian-JTF, Danbatta Bello.
But police spokesperson, Victor Isuku, a deputy superintendent, said in a statement on Monday morning that there were two separate attacks that occurred between 8.20 p.m. and 10.30 p.m.
Mr. Isuku said the first attack was carried out by three males, while the second was an explosion caused by two female suicide bombers.
“At about 2020hrs (10.20pm) of yesterday 8/1/2017, three male suicide bombers shot sporadically and attempted to infiltrate Maiduguri via Garki Muna village close to a military checkpoint,” said the spokesperson.
“The IED strapped to their bodies exploded killing all of them, and a Civilian-JTF.
“Two Ak47 rifles were recovered, while one was completely destroyed as a result of the explosion.
“Then about 2230hrs same date, there were two suicide bombers attack at Kaleri area of Gwange. Four persons including two female suicide bombers died in the explosion. Both scenes were swept and rendered safe for public access by personnel from EOD, FSARS and patrol teams of the command at the wee hours of today. Normalcy has since returned to these areas,” police said.
Via PREMIUM TIMES
More Stories
CRIME: GUNMEN ABDUCT ONDO COMMERCIAL DRIVER, KILL SON
In Owo, Ondo State, a well-known commercial bus driver named Muihili Adebayo was kidnapped by gunmen, who killed his son...
UPDATE: DEATH TOLL IN PLATEAU ATTACK RISES TO 52
According to local authorities, 52 people have died as a result of the recent attacks in Plateau State's Bokkos Local...
WORLD NEWS: US TARIFFS A ‘SIGNIFICANT RISK’ TO GLOBAL ECONOMY – IMF CHIEF
Agency Report New US tariffs "clearly represent a significant risk to the global outlook," said IMF chief Kristalina Georgieva on...
JUST IN: PDP, YORUBA LEADER, YEKINI ADEOJO PASSES AWAY
Tears and tributes are pouring in following the passing of Chief Yekini Adeojo, a highly respected political elder and traditional...
TRUMP LAUNCHES $5m ‘GOLD CARD’ FOR WEALTHY NIGERIAN MIGRANTS, OTHERS
U.S. President Donald Trump has unveiled the first “gold card,” a residency permit set to be sold for $5 million...
AKPABIO DISMISSES NATASHA’S ASSASSINATION CLAIM
The Senate President, Senator Godswill Akpabio, on Friday, debunked a claim by the suspended Senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan,...