Ronaldo is FIFA player of the year 2016
Real Madrid and Portugal Star, Cristiano Ronaldo won FIFA’s re-branded player of the year award yesterday, beating his old rival Lionel Messi.
Messi was pulled out of the ceremony only a few hours earlier by his club Barcelona.
Ronaldo, 31, was rewarded for a year in which he won the Champions League with his club Real Madrid and the Euro 2016 with Portugal.
Argentine Messi was second in the vote and Frenchman Antoine Griezmann came third.
I’m very happy and I can say that 2016 was the best year of my career”, said Ronaldo as he was presented the award by FIFA President Gianni Infantino.
“With the aim of prioritizing preparations for Wednesday’s game against Athletic Club, FC Barcelona have decided that the players recognized in the awards will not be traveling to Switzerland for the ceremony,” said the club in a statement.
Ronaldo also won the France Football’s Ballon d’Or, the other major international award for the sport, last month.
Ronaldo also won the old FIFA award once in 2008 and also in 2013 and 2014 when it was organised jointly with France Football magazine.
More Stories
FERNANDEZ FIRES CHELSEA INTO FOURTH, PILING PRESSURE ON POSTECOGLOU
Chelsea climbed to fourth place in the Premier League as Enzo Fernandez sealed a 1-0 win that piled pressure on...
OLMO, VICTOR APPROVED TO COMPLETE SEASON WITH BARCELONA
On Thursday, Spain's sports commission announced that Dani Olmo and Pau Victor will be permitted to continue playing for Barcelona...
UEFA PRESIDENT SLAMS FIFA’S 64 TEAM WORLD CUP AS ‘BAD IDEA’
Agency Report UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said on Thursday it would be “a bad idea” for FIFA to expand the...
SPORT NEWS: SKIING WORLD CUP CHAMPION BRIGNONE SUFFERS BROKEN LEG
Agency Report Alpine skiing World Cup champion Federica Brignone suffered a broken leg at the Italian championships on Thursday when...
SPORT: PROSECUTORS DEMAND JAIL TERM FOR ANCELOTTI FOR TAX FRAUD
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti’s tax fraud trial wrapped up Thursday in Spain, with public prosecutors seeking demanding he be...
SPAIN PROSECUTORS TO APPEAL RULING OVERTURNING ALVES’ RAPE CONVICTION
Spanish prosecutors said Wednesday they would a appeal a court ruling that overturned former Brazil international footballer Dani Alves’ rape...