Arsene Wenger charged with misconduct by Football Association
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has been charged by the Football Association with verbal abusing and pushing fourth official Anthony Taylor during Sunday’s Premier League game against Burnley.
Wenger, 67, pushed Taylor after being sent off in the closing stages of the Gunners’ 2-1 win at Emirates Stadium.
He had been dismissed for reacting angrily to a 93rd-minute penalty given to Burnley, who trailed 1-0.
Wenger, who later apologised, has until 18:00 GMT on Thursday to respond.
An FA statement read: “It is alleged that in or around the 92nd minute, Wenger used abusive and/or insulting words towards the fourth official.
“It is further alleged that following his dismissal from the technical area, his behaviour in remaining in the tunnel area and making physical contact with the fourth official amounted to improper conduct.
After being sent to the stands by referee Jon Moss, Wenger moved away from the pitch but stood at the tunnel entrance and refused to move as he tried to watch the remaining few minutes of Sunday’s match.
As Taylor encouraged him to move away, Wenger was seen to push back against him.
When asked about what had led to his dismissal, Wenger said: “Look, it was nothing bad. I said something that you hear every day in football. Overall, nine times out of 10, you are not sent to the stand for that.”
He added: “But if I am, I am, and I should have shut up completely. I was quite calm for the whole game, more than usual.”
More Stories
UEFA PRESIDENT SLAMS FIFA’S 64 TEAM WORLD CUP AS ‘BAD IDEA’
Agency Report UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said on Thursday it would be “a bad idea” for FIFA to expand the...
SPORT NEWS: SKIING WORLD CUP CHAMPION BRIGNONE SUFFERS BROKEN LEG
Agency Report Alpine skiing World Cup champion Federica Brignone suffered a broken leg at the Italian championships on Thursday when...
SPORT: PROSECUTORS DEMAND JAIL TERM FOR ANCELOTTI FOR TAX FRAUD
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti’s tax fraud trial wrapped up Thursday in Spain, with public prosecutors seeking demanding he be...
SPAIN PROSECUTORS TO APPEAL RULING OVERTURNING ALVES’ RAPE CONVICTION
Spanish prosecutors said Wednesday they would a appeal a court ruling that overturned former Brazil international footballer Dani Alves’ rape...
TINUBU LEADS DIGNITARIES TO NDSF OPENING CEREMONY IN UYO
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is expected to on Wednesday, April 2nd flag off the much anticipated Niger Delta Sports Festival...
FEDPOFFA HOSTS 50 POLYTECHNICS AS 22ND NIPOGA KICKS OFF TODAY
The Federal Polytechnic, Offa, Kwara State, is set to host 50 polytechnics from across the country as the 22nd Nigeria...