Lagos: Two Dead, 14 Rescued From Collapsed Building
Two people were feared dead while 14 others were rescued alive by emergency respondents on Monday from a collapsed building that happened on Lagos Island, reports the News Agency of Nigeria.
NAN gathered from a reliable source at the scene of the incident that it happened around 7.30am, at Daddy Alaja Street, Oke Arin on Lagos Island.
The source said that the two dead persons, a man and a woman, whose identities could not be confirmed by the respondents, were pulled out of the debris from the three-storey building.
The source said that the building, housing many occupants, was also under renovation when it collapsed.
The source said, “As of 1.30pm, all the rescue operations had been concluded. Some of those rescued alive were treated at the scene.
“Those with serious ones were taken to the General Hospital on Lagos Island,” the source told NAN.
The source said that the rescued team included: men and officials from LASEMA, NEMA, Fire Service and the Police Force.
The spokesman of the Lagos State Police Command, ASP Olarinde Famous-Cole, confirmed the incident.
Famous-Cole, however, could not ascertain the number of deaths as of press time.
NAN reports that three buildings had collapsed in Ilasamaja, Ebute-Metta and on Lagos Island in the last three months, in which five persons lost their lives while more than 40 persons were rescued.
source: NAN
More Stories
JUST IN: PDP, YORUBA LEADER, YEKINI ADEOJO PASSES AWAY
Tears and tributes are pouring in following the passing of Chief Yekini Adeojo, a highly respected political elder and traditional...
TRUMP LAUNCHES $5m ‘GOLD CARD’ FOR WEALTHY NIGERIAN MIGRANTS, OTHERS
U.S. President Donald Trump has unveiled the first “gold card,” a residency permit set to be sold for $5 million...
AKPABIO DISMISSES NATASHA’S ASSASSINATION CLAIM
The Senate President, Senator Godswill Akpabio, on Friday, debunked a claim by the suspended Senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan,...
DE BRUYNE CONFIRMS MAN CITY EXIT AT SEASON’S END
Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne confirmed on Friday that he will leave the club at the end of the...
ANCESTORS CHOSE OKPEBHOLO TO RESTORE EDO’S GLORY – OBA OF BENIN
Oba of Benin, Ewuare II, on Thursday said that his ancestors brought Governor Monday Okpebholo to restore the lost glory...
AFRICAN RAT SETS RECORD, DETECTS 109 LANDMINES IN CAMBODIA
A landmine-hunting rat in Cambodia has set a new world record by sniffing out more than 100 mines and pieces...