Attack: 6 Nigerian-owned guest houses burnt in S/Africa
The Nigerian Union in South Africa say six guest houses owned by their members were burnt during attacks against Nigerians in Rustenburg, North West Province of South Africa.
The Chairman of the union in the Province, Paul Nwanedo, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on the telephone from Rustenburg, on Thursday that the attackers beat a woman and her child.
“These attacks began on Sunday. Four Nigerians are in critical condition in the hospital. We also received a report that the Taxi drivers also beat a Nigerian woman and her child.
“We can also confirm that six guest houses belonging to our people were burnt by the drivers.
“We have not recorded any incident today. We have advised our people to remain indoors and ensure their safety.
“As we speak, stakeholders comprising the police, taxi drivers and senior government officials are still in a meeting. The union was not allowed to be part of the meeting,” Mr. Nwanedo said.
The chairman said that the union was still taking stock of losses by Nigerians and would communicate to appropriate federal government representatives in South Africa.
NAN learned that the taxi drivers went on the rampage following allegations that Nigerians sold drugs to a gang that attacked their members.
They also alleged that a Nigerian abducted and raped a 16-year-old South African girl.
“Our investigation so far showed that these allegations are false. No Nigerian has been arrested for alleged abduction or rape. The allegation of drugs selling to the gang is also untrue,” he said.
(NAN)
More Stories
TINUBU’S REFORMS WILL YIELD POSITIVE RESULTS FOR ALL – DABIRI-EREWA
Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman/CEO Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) has assured that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s perceived tough reforms and...
CANADA-BÀSED NIGERIAN RISK LIFE JAIL OVER MURDER OF HOMELESS MAN
A 31-year-old Nigerian man, Adimabua Chukwuka, is facing a possible life sentence after being charged with the first-degree murder of...
UPDATE: 140 NIGERIANS STRANDED IN SUDAN RETURN HOME – IOM
Through its Voluntary Humanitarian Return program, the International Organisation for Migration has helped 140 Nigerians who had been stuck in...
DIASPORA: UK COURT SPARES NIGERIAN MAN FROM DEPORTATION AFTER CLAIMS OF BEING ‘DEMONICALLY POSSESSED’
A Nigerian man convicted of armed robbery and drug dealing has avoided deportation from the UK after a judge ruled...
DABIRI-EREWA HAILS VOKE OGUEH ON BAGGING US PRESIDENTIAL AWARD
Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman/CEO, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM) has congratulated Voke Ogueh as a recipient of the US President's...
FG DEMANDS FULL INVESTIGATION INTO DEATH OF A NIGERIAN FOOTBALLER IN UGANDA
Disturbed by the reported death of a Nigerian footballer in Uganda, Abubakar Lawal, under highly unclear circumstances, Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa,...