Luis Enrique appointed Spain manager on two-year deal
Luis Enrique appointed Spain manager on two-year deal
#MTNShortz3Sixtyworld
Spain have announced the appointment of former Roma and Barcelona head coach Luis Enrique as their new manager on a two-year contract.
The 48-year-old takes over from Fernando Hierro, who was thrown into the role on the eve of La Roja’s disappointing World Cup campaign following the sacking of Julen Lopetegui.
Spain confirmed at the weekend that Hierro would not stay on in the top job, and bookies’ favourite Enrique has now been installed as manager for the Euro 2020 campaign.
Enrique, strongly linked with the Chelsea job earlier this summer, begins a new era for Spanish football with a trip to face England in the inaugural UEFA Nations League on September 8.
Spain endured a disappointing World Cup campaign in Russia this summer, having been dumped out by the tournament hosts in the first knockout round.
Quique Sanchez Flores, Michel, Roberto Martinez and Victor were also in the running to take charge of the one-time world champions.
More Stories
FERNANDEZ FIRES CHELSEA INTO FOURTH, PILING PRESSURE ON POSTECOGLOU
Chelsea climbed to fourth place in the Premier League as Enzo Fernandez sealed a 1-0 win that piled pressure on...
OLMO, VICTOR APPROVED TO COMPLETE SEASON WITH BARCELONA
On Thursday, Spain's sports commission announced that Dani Olmo and Pau Victor will be permitted to continue playing for Barcelona...
UEFA PRESIDENT SLAMS FIFA’S 64 TEAM WORLD CUP AS ‘BAD IDEA’
Agency Report UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said on Thursday it would be “a bad idea” for FIFA to expand the...
SPORT NEWS: SKIING WORLD CUP CHAMPION BRIGNONE SUFFERS BROKEN LEG
Agency Report Alpine skiing World Cup champion Federica Brignone suffered a broken leg at the Italian championships on Thursday when...
SPORT: PROSECUTORS DEMAND JAIL TERM FOR ANCELOTTI FOR TAX FRAUD
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti’s tax fraud trial wrapped up Thursday in Spain, with public prosecutors seeking demanding he be...
SPAIN PROSECUTORS TO APPEAL RULING OVERTURNING ALVES’ RAPE CONVICTION
Spanish prosecutors said Wednesday they would a appeal a court ruling that overturned former Brazil international footballer Dani Alves’ rape...