Awoniyi Pens New Liverpool Deal; Eager To Earn Super Eagles Call-up
#MTNshortz3sixtyworld
Nigerian striker, Taiwo Awoniyi, has officially signed a contract extension with Liverpool FC, Completeportsnigeria.com reports.
The duration of the deal was not disclosed officiaaly but a close source to the player revealed to Completesportsnigeria.com that the 20-year-old extended his deal at Anfield by another two years.
The 20-year-old striker, who joined the Reds in August 2015, put pen to paper on the deal at Melwood on Tuesday following a successful season in Belgium’s top flight with Royal Excel Mouscron where he scored 10 goals and made four assists.
Awoniyi told Liverpoolfc.com: “I feel excited and I feel very happy.
“It has been three years since I first came to Liverpool. So far, so good. The last year was the best for me, it has been an amazing year so far.
“I just have to keep working hard each year and I believe one day the dream will come true.
“Thanks to my family, who have been so supportive. I’m very glad and excited about this contract and hopefully, to have an even better year.”
Awoniyi joined Liverpool from the Imperial Soccer Academy in Nigeria.
He represented Nigeria at U-23 level and has spent the last three seasons on loan at FSV Frankfurt, NEC Nijmegen and Royal Excel Mouscron respectively.
Awoniyi, a U-17 World Cup winner is aiming to improve further in the coming campaign with a view to earning a call-up to Nigeria’s senior national team, the Super Eagles.
“That is a big part of the ambition for me,” he said.
“I have played for many years with the youth teams, and I look forward to hopefully getting a chance with the senior team.”
More Stories
FERNANDEZ FIRES CHELSEA INTO FOURTH, PILING PRESSURE ON POSTECOGLOU
Chelsea climbed to fourth place in the Premier League as Enzo Fernandez sealed a 1-0 win that piled pressure on...
OLMO, VICTOR APPROVED TO COMPLETE SEASON WITH BARCELONA
On Thursday, Spain's sports commission announced that Dani Olmo and Pau Victor will be permitted to continue playing for Barcelona...
UEFA PRESIDENT SLAMS FIFA’S 64 TEAM WORLD CUP AS ‘BAD IDEA’
Agency Report UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said on Thursday it would be “a bad idea” for FIFA to expand the...
SPORT NEWS: SKIING WORLD CUP CHAMPION BRIGNONE SUFFERS BROKEN LEG
Agency Report Alpine skiing World Cup champion Federica Brignone suffered a broken leg at the Italian championships on Thursday when...
SPORT: PROSECUTORS DEMAND JAIL TERM FOR ANCELOTTI FOR TAX FRAUD
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti’s tax fraud trial wrapped up Thursday in Spain, with public prosecutors seeking demanding he be...
SPAIN PROSECUTORS TO APPEAL RULING OVERTURNING ALVES’ RAPE CONVICTION
Spanish prosecutors said Wednesday they would a appeal a court ruling that overturned former Brazil international footballer Dani Alves’ rape...