750 HECTARES OF RICE FARM DESTROYED BY HERDSMEN
Over 750 hectares of rice farm in Dubale Village of Lau Council, Taraba State, cultivated by Wal-Wanne Nigeria Limited, have been allegedly occupied and completely destroyed by armed herdsmen and their cattle.
The farm Coordinator, Muhammed Musa, at a press briefing on Wednesday in Jalingo, lamented that the rice farm had yielded well and harvest was about to commence when the herdsmen brought about 2,000 cows to occupy and destroy it.
Musa appealed to security operatives to help in arresting the armed herdsmen so as to bring them to book to serve as a deterrent to others.
He called on the government to compensate the company and other affected farmers in the area in order to keep the hope of ensuring food security alive.
“As a company, we have been farming rice in many states of the federation; but we have never witnessed destruction of this magnitude.
“I am so surprised at the manner in which armed herdsmen move about destroying farms in the state.”
The Dubale farm supervisor, Mustapha Mohammed, lamented that their dreams of ranking among the highest rice producing companies in the country had been thwarted by the activities of the herdsmen.
When contacted, the North East Zonal Chairman of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, Mafindi Danburam, said that he was aware of the sad incident and had directed the farmers to ensure arrest and prosecution of the perpetrators.
“The farmers have drawn my attention to what happened and whose rice farm was invaded.
More Stories
MWAPA HOLDS FIRST MANAGEMENT MEETING WITH NEW PERMANENT SECRETARY, MRS. RIANAT ‘JIBIKE ONIGBANJO
The Ministry of Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation (MWAPA) held its first management meeting with the newly appointed Permanent Secretary,...
NEWS: SCAVENGER DIES, THREE HOSPITALISED AS MILITARY GRENADE EXPLODES IN LAGOS
A military-grade grenade detonated near Idi-Araba in the Mushin neighborhood of Lagos State, killing one unidentified scavenger. Three additional people...
COURT ARRAIGNS THREE NATIVE DOCTORS FOR ALLEGED RITUAL CRIMES IN ANAMBRA
Three native doctors—Chidozie Nwangwu, also known as "Akwa Okuko Tiwara Aki," Eke Hit, and Onye Eze—have been charged by the...
UPDATE: DEATH TOLL IN PLATEAU ATTACK RISES TO 52
According to local authorities, 52 people have died as a result of the recent attacks in Plateau State's Bokkos Local...
WORLD NEWS: US TARIFFS A ‘SIGNIFICANT RISK’ TO GLOBAL ECONOMY – IMF CHIEF
Agency Report New US tariffs "clearly represent a significant risk to the global outlook," said IMF chief Kristalina Georgieva on...
ANAMBRA RECORDS OVER 100,000 DELIVERIES IN 18 MONTHS UNDER FREE MATERNAL HEALTHCARE POLICY
The Anambra State Government has announced a major milestone in its healthcare initiative, recording 102,643 childbirths and 343 cesarean sections...