JOSE MOURINHO ACCEPTS PRISON SENTENCE AFTER ADMITTING TAX FRAUD
Former Real Madrid Coach has been given a one-year suspended prison sentence and agreed to pay €2.2m (£1.9m) in fines after admitting tax fraud while he was the manager of the club.
Mourinho appeared at Madrid’s provincial court on Tuesday, where he confirmed a plea deal over charges that he had defrauded the Spanish tax authorities of €3.3m by failing to declare revenues from image rights in 2011 and 2012.
Prosecutors had accused Mourinho, 56, of using offshore companies in Ireland, the British Virgin Islands and New Zealand to conceal his earnings while resident in Spain. “All these corporate structures were used by the accused in order to hide the profits from his image rights,” read a court document.
His deal with the tax authorities will see him pay €1.9m – 60% of the amount defrauded – plus an additional €121,764 in interest. He is also paying a €182,500 fine in exchange for serving no jail time. Sentences of less than two years for first-time offenders are usually suspended in Spain.
Following a court appearance in Madrid during November 2017, Mourinho claimed that the case against him had concluded.
“I left Spain in 2013 with the information and the conviction that my tax situation was perfectly legal,” Mourinho said at the time.
“A couple of years later I was informed that an investigation had been opened. They told me that to regularise my situation I had to pay X amount. I didn’t answer, I didn’t argue, I paid, I signed the papers with the state that show my conformity and that everything is definitively closed.”
More Stories
MOURINHO HANDED THREE-MATCH BAN, £6,000 FINE FOR NOSE-GRABBING INCIDENT
Fenerbahce manager Jose Mourinho has been banned for three matches and handed a fine of around £6,000 ($7,734.00) after grabbing...
NIGERIAN BOXER, OLANREWAJU DIED OF CARDIAC ARREST, AUTOPSY CONFIRMS
Body to arrive Nigeria in two weeks The autopsy conducted on former Nigerian boxer, Olanrewaju Segun ‘Success’, has confirmed that...
UCL: MBAPPE, VINI, OTHERS CLEARED TO PLAY AGAINST ARSENAL, FINED FOR ‘IMPROPER CONDUCT’
Kylian Mbappe was on Friday among three Real Madrid players fined by UEFA for “violating basic rules of decent conduct”...
FERNANDEZ FIRES CHELSEA INTO FOURTH, PILING PRESSURE ON POSTECOGLOU
Chelsea climbed to fourth place in the Premier League as Enzo Fernandez sealed a 1-0 win that piled pressure on...
OLMO, VICTOR APPROVED TO COMPLETE SEASON WITH BARCELONA
On Thursday, Spain's sports commission announced that Dani Olmo and Pau Victor will be permitted to continue playing for Barcelona...
UEFA PRESIDENT SLAMS FIFA’S 64 TEAM WORLD CUP AS ‘BAD IDEA’
Agency Report UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said on Thursday it would be “a bad idea” for FIFA to expand the...