FG INCREASES HEALTH SURVEILLANCE ON PORTS AND BOARDERS
Ife Adewole
In an effort to prevent another case of Ebola outbreak in Nigeria, The Federal Government has mandated port health service officials and other boarder agencies to increase surveillance on passengers that will be entering the country.
The statement was made by the Federal Ministry of Health Media and Public Relations Director, Mrs Boade Akinola on Friday in Abuja.
She said, the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Mr Abdulaziz Mashi, with some directors from the ministry and Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) investigated the health facilities at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos and gave the directive.
Adding that the inspection was done to know the level of alertness in case of any emergency following the rumoured Ebola threats in Lagos.
Mashi explained that all the facilities needed to screen incoming passengers into the country are functioning perfectly and more health officials will be deploy to equate the heavy traffic at the airport.
He said “more doctors, nurses and other health officials will be deployed to the port health services at International Airports for day to day activities.”
Federal Ministry of Health, therefore, advised the public to neglect the rumour and discourage the spread of any unverified information.
The ministry said that since the reports of outbreak of EVD in the Democratic Republic of Congo, heightened surveillance had been ongoing at various points of entry to prevent importation into Nigeria.
More Stories
SANWO-OLU, SOUTH-WEST GOVS MOURN OLUNLOYO, COMMISERATE WITH MAKINDE
•Say ex-Governor's death great loss to Oyo The Chairman of the South-West Governors Forum and Governor of Lagos State, Mr...
LAGOS GOVT LAUNCHES FARMERS’ FORUM ACROSS DIVISIONS TO BOLSTER AGRICULTURAL SECTOR
The Lagos State Government is set to convene a series of crucial stakeholders' forums across the five administrative divisions of...
IGP INVITES EMIR SANUSI FOR QUESTIONING OVER VIOLENT SALLAH INCIDENT
The Inspector General of Police, IG Kayode Egbetokun has invited the 16th Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II to the...
MAKINDE, ALLI PAY TRIBUTE AS FORMER OYO PDP GOVERNORSHIP CANDIDATE ADEOJO LAID TO REST IN IBADAN
Governor Seyi Makinde has expressed his condolences to the family of the late Yekini Adeojo, a former PDP gubernatorial...
‘UNITY, PROSPERITY OF YORUBALAND TOP OF MY PRIORITIES’ – OBA OWOADE, NEW ALAAFIN
Oba Abimbola Akeem Owoade is officially installed today as the new Alaafin of Oyo in Oyo town, Oyo State....
WORK TO BEGIN ON INDEPENDENCE BRIDGE IN THREE WEEKS – UMAHI REVEALS
The Minister of Works, Dave Umahi, says that permanent work on the Independence Bridge will commence in three weeks. Briefing...