
CRISTIANO RONALDO MOVE ‘PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE’ – ATLETICO MADRID PRESIDENT
Enrique Cerezo, the president of Atletico Madrid, has described a move for Cristiano Ronaldo as “practically impossible” as the striker attempts to push a transfer away from Manchester United.
After skipping the team’s preseason tour of Thailand and Australia due to personal obligations, Ronaldo, 37, held talks with United’s coaching staff on Tuesday together with his agent Jorge Mendes.
The Portugal international reportedly submitted a transfer request earlier this month in order to play in the Champions League, with Atletico Madrid mentioned as a potential destination.
“I’ve said it many times. I don’t know who invented the story about Cristiano. But I’ll tell you, it’s practically impossible for him to come to Atletico Madrid,” Cerezo told reporters on Tuesday.
Atletico would need to raise €40 million from player departures, according to Cerezo’s prediction from last month, in trying to attain the LaLiga squad spending limits.
The club’s finances have since been boosted by signing two significant new sponsorship agreements, including selling the naming rights to their Metropolitano stadium to the real estate firm Civitas.
This summer, Atletico have signed free agent midfielder Axel Witsel, and on Monday, right-back Nahuel Molina flew into Madrid to finalise his transfer from Udinese.
Given his long history with fierce local rivals Real Madrid, some fans may find Ronaldo’s arrival controversial.
He is Real’s all-time record goal scorer, and won four Champions Leagues and two LaLiga titles in a nine-year stint before leaving for Juventus in 2018.
More Stories
ABIODUN MOURNS AS OGUN APC SPOKESMAN, OLADUNJOYE PASSES AWAY
The Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ogun State, Tunde Oladunjoye, has passed away. Oladunjoye is said...
UCL: MBAPPE, VINI, OTHERS CLEARED TO PLAY AGAINST ARSENAL, FINED FOR ‘IMPROPER CONDUCT’
Kylian Mbappe was on Friday among three Real Madrid players fined by UEFA for “violating basic rules of decent conduct”...
LASIEC DEBUNKS TIMETABLE FOR 2025 LAGOS LG ELECTIONS
The Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission (LASIEC) has refuted rumors circulating about the release of a timetable for the 2025...
ANAMBRA 2025: UMEOJI WITHDRAWS FROM APC PRIMARIES
In the lead-up to the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary election in Anambra, scheduled for Saturday, one of the...
JUST IN: NNPCL NAMES NEW EIGHT-MAN MANAGEMENT TEAM
The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited has unveiled a new eight-member senior management team to oversee the company’s operations and...
OJULARI TAKES OVER FROM KYARI AS NEW NNPCL BOSS (PHOTOS)
Bayo Ojulari, the newly appointed Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL), has officially taken...