
WIGAN APPOINTS FORMER ARSENAL DEFENDER KOLO TOURE AS NEW MANAGER
Former Manchester City and Arsenal defender Kolo Toure, has been appointed as Wigan Athletic’s new manager on a three-and-a-half-year deal, the English Championship club said on Tuesday.
Toure made 353 appearances in the Premier League for Arsenal, City and Liverpool from 2002-16
Under Brendan Rodgers, he was previously part of the coaching staffs of Scottish side Celtic and Premier League side Leicester City.
The 41-year-old former Ivory Coast international replaces Leam Richardson, who was sacked earlier this month with the second-tier club having fallen into the relegation zone after a run of six defeats in seven games.
“We are delighted that Kolo has become the new manager of Wigan Athletic Football Club, and the board are pleased that he is the man to take us forward,” the club’s chief executive, Malachy Brannigan, said in a statement.
“We received a high calibre of applicants for the manager’s job in recent weeks, in a very thorough recruitment process as we looked to appoint the right person for the role.
“From the earliest of conversations we had with Kolo, it was evident to us that he had instantly bought into the values of the club — with his enthusiasm, knowledge and immense desire to work and be part of Wigan Athletic shining throughout the process.”
Wigan spent eight seasons in the Premier League before they were relegated in 2013, the same year they won the FA Cup.
They have been struggling in the Championship this season and sit in 22nd place after 21 games. They next play Millwall away on Dec. 10.
More Stories
BODE GEORGE TO TINUBU: RIVERS, NATASHA SAGA THREATEN NIGERIA’S DEMOCRACY
Former Deputy National chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Chief ‘Bode George, yesterday, said the declaration of a state...
JAMB OPENS PORTAL FOR 2025 UTME MOCK EXAM SLIP PRINTING
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has announced that candidates who registered to participate in the 2025 optional UTME-Mock examination...
SOUTH KOREA COURT SACKS PRESIDENT YOON KEOL
South Korea’s top court on Friday unanimously ruled to remove impeached president Yoon Suk Yeol from office over his disastrous...
MINISTER DENIES OWING N200M, DISMISSES SEXUAL HARASSMENT CLAIMS
The Minister of Works, Dave Umahi, has denied owing a businesswoman, Tracynither Ohiri, N200 million for promotional materials she supplied...
COURT ORDERS FINAL FORFEITURE OF ABUJA, KANO PROPERTIES TIED TO FIRS OFFICIAL
The Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday, ordered the final forfeiture of two property linked to a staff member...
DEAD PREGNANT WOMAN: LAGOS HOSPITAL DENIES DEMANDING N500K FOR TREATMENT
The Lagos private hospital, As Salam Convalescent Centre, located in Iwerekun 1, Ibeju/Lekki, has denied claims that it demanded an...