
WE HAVEN’T BEEN INFORMED OF 25% PAY RISE — ASUU
The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU has not been informed of any pay rise for lecturers in federal institutions, according to National President, Prof. Emmanuel Osodeke.
The ASUU president stated this on Friday while reacting to a circular issued by the Office of the Auditor-General of the Federation regarding the increment.
“We have not been informed of such a development and when we are officially notified, we are going to react,” he told our correspondent on phone.
However, the National President of the Congress of University Academics, CONUA, Dr Niyi Sunmonu, said he was aware of the circular.
He added that the pay rise was not enough, but that his union would not reject it.
“In fact, that circular ought to have taken effect many months ago. We met the then Minister of Labour, Dr Chris Ngige, over the matter.
“The thinking then was that the circular would be made public last March and the effective date of its effectiveness would be as from January this year and the arrears paid.
“What they are offering is not enough but we are not rejecting it. However, this is to be taken different from the general upward review of salaries of public workers in view of the current economic crunch in the country,” he said.
Recall that the FG had earlier opposed 25% pay rise for lecturers, when it raised that of professors by 35%.
However, in a circular No: OAuGF/ SW/C/QP/1395/VOL.1/11, dated September 21, 2023, issued to universities, polytechnics and colleges of education, the Auditor-General said the implementation was approved by the Presidential Committee on Salaries at its 13th meeting.
More Stories
OYO STRENGTHENS SECURITY AHEAD OF ALAAFIN’S CORONATION ON SATURDAY
With the coronation of the 46th Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Akeem Owoade, scheduled for Saturday, April 5, 2025, the Oyo...
ANAMBRA 2025: UMEOJI WITHDRAWS FROM APC PRIMARIES
In the lead-up to the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary election in Anambra, scheduled for Saturday, one of the...
JUST IN: NNPCL NAMES NEW EIGHT-MAN MANAGEMENT TEAM
The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited has unveiled a new eight-member senior management team to oversee the company’s operations and...
PLATEAU ATTACK DEATH TOLL RISES TO 52
The death toll from recent gunmen attacks in several communities within the Bokkos Local Government Area of Plateau State has...
OJULARI TAKES OVER FROM KYARI AS NEW NNPCL BOSS (PHOTOS)
Bayo Ojulari, the newly appointed Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL), has officially taken...
NAVY INTERCEPTS 400,000 LITRES OF STOLEN CRUDE IN DELTA OPERATION
The Nigerian Navy’s Operation Delta Sanity II recovered over 400,000 litres of stolen crude oil across the Niger Delta in...