
ITALIAN COURT INDICTS TOURISM MINISTER FOR COVID-ERA FRAUD
Italy’s tourism minister was accused of fraud by prosecutors on Friday, over government redundancy money that her publishing enterprises had claimed during the coronavirus pandemic.
Daniela Santanche, the head of the far-right Brothers of Italy party led by Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, was promptly asked to quit by opposition lawmakers.
The 63-year-old Santanche has vehemently denied the accusations, as seen by his robust appearance in parliament last year.
“The Milan prosecutor’s office today requested the indictment of Minister Santanche and other persons as well as the companies Visibilia Editore and Visibilia Concessionaria,” the office said in a brief statement.
They were indicted “for alleged fraud of the INPS (National Institute for Social Security) in relation to alleged irregularities in the use of the Covid-19 redundancy fund, for a total of 13 employees”.
Media reports claim that Visibilia is accused of receiving state funding meant to assist businesses affected by the pandemic in temporarily terminating employees, even though the 13 workers persisted in their employment.
When Santanche joined the Meloni administration, which assumed power in October 2022, she sold her interest in Visibilia.
Despite the fact that the inquiry has been ongoing for months, opposition parties demanded that Santanche step down when the prosecution decided to file an indictment.
“We expect the prime minister to have a minimum of respect for the institutions and ask for Daniela Santanche’s resignation,” said Elly Schlein, leader of the centre-left Democratic Party.
More Stories
OYO BUZZES WITH ANTICIPATION FOR ALAAFIN’S CORONATION
Here’s the paraphrased version in sentence case: The ancient town of Oyo in Oyo State is buzzing with excitement ahead...
LASIEC DENIES 2025 LOCAL GOVT ELECTION TIMETABLE CIRCULATING ONLINE
The Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission (LASIEC) has denied reports claiming it released an official timetable for the 2025 Local...
MAN SENTENCED TO 84 YEARS IN PRISON FOR RAPE, ATTEMPTED MURDER, ROBBERY, OTHERS IN EKITI
An Ekiti State High Court in Ado Ekiti has sentenced 33-year-old Oluwatuyi Bidemi to 84 years in prison for robbery,...
NYSC: MINISTER PROPOSES EXTENDING NATIONAL SERVICE TO TWO YEARS
The Minister of Education, Dr. Maruf Olatunji Alausa, has proposed that the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) service year be...
POLICE ARREST MAN FOR SEXUALLY ABUSING DAUGHTER, INFECTING HER WITH HIV/AIDS IN DELTA
Apologies for the misunderstanding. Here’s the paraphrased version in regular text: The police in Otu-Jeremi Division, Ughelli South Local Government...
MAN JAILED FOR NOT DECLARING $40,000 AT AIRPORT
The Federal High Court in Lagos has sentenced Igboezue Emeka to one month in prison for money laundering. Emeka was...