ARSENAL’S GABRIEL RULED OUT FOR REST OF SEASON
Arsenal have suffered a major setback ahead of their Champions League clash against Real Madrid after Gabriel was ruled out for the remainder of the season.
The Gunners said Thursday the 27-year-old Brazil centre-back will require surgery on the hamstring injury he suffered during the club’s 2-1 Premier League win against Fulham on Tuesday.
Gabriel, a mainstay of Arsenal’s defence in recent seasons, went down in the 16th minute with the injury at the Emirates Stadium and was unable to continue.
Arsenal host Real Madrid in the opening leg of their quarter-final clash at the Emirates on Tuesday before the return game the following week.
“Further to being substituted during our match against Fulham on Tuesday, we can confirm that Gabriel Magalhaes has sustained a hamstring injury which requires surgery,” said an Arsenal statement.
“Gabi will undergo a surgical repair procedure to his hamstring in the coming days, and immediately begin his recovery and rehabilitation programme, with the aim to be ready for the start of next season.”
Arsenal have the best defence in the Premier League so far this season, having conceded 25 goals in 30 games.
But they are still second in the table, a huge 12 points behind runaway leaders Liverpool with eight games to play.
AFP
More Stories
ALAAFIN OF OYO URGES MODERATION, UNITY AHEAD OF CORONATION
Oba Akeem Owoade, the Alaafin of Oyo, advised the historic city's inhabitants and indigenous people to rejoice in moderation on...
POLICE RESCUE KIDNAPPED FOREIGNER IN TARABA
The Taraba State Police Command, in collaboration with the military and hunters, have rescued a kidnapped foreign national. The Israeli...
VETERAN BOLLYWOOD STAR MANOJ KUMAR DIES AT 87 AFTER PROLONGED ILLNESS
Manoj Kumar, an Indian actor best known for his parts in patriotic Hindi-language films, passed away on Friday at the...
BREAKING: SUPREME COURT OVERTURNS JUDGMENT AFFIRMING ABURE AS LP NATIONAL CHAIRMAN
The Supreme Court has set aside the judgment of the Court of Appeal in Abuja recognising Julius Abure as the...
CRIME: THREE FOREIGNERS ARRESTED IN NASARAWA ILLEGAL MINING SITE RAID
An illicit mining facility in the Rafin-Gabas neighborhood of Kokona Local Government Area, Nasarawa State, has been closed by the...
BODE GEORGE TO TINUBU: RIVERS, NATASHA SAGA THREATEN NIGERIA’S DEMOCRACY
Former Deputy National chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Chief ‘Bode George, yesterday, said the declaration of a state...