
BARCELONA ORDERED TO SLASH WAGE BILL, COULD LOSE SEVERAL KEY STARS
Barcelona have been ordered to slash their wage bill by £177million in the summer, giving Manchester United and other clubs hope in their pursuit of key players.
LaLiga are still on the Spanish club’s neck to ensure they make further reduction amid their financial setbacks if they are to comply with league rules and that could result in high-profile players being sold.
According to reports, two stars who may have to be let go in order to lower the wage bill are Frenkie de Jong and Ansu Fati, who have both been connected with Manchester United.
Reports claim that Barcelona is determined to keep Netherlands midfielder De Jong, but their financial situation may encourage Erik ten Hag to approve another attempt to get a player he greatly admires.
United were unable to get a deal for De Jong over the line last summer, with the star not wanting to leave Barcelona after the clubs agreed a fee of £71million.
De Jong has a Barcelona contract until 2026 and will earn around £78million over the final four years of it after he agreed a restructure to help the club mitigate the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
With Barcelona under renewed pressure to reduce their wage bill, they may change their stance on selling De Jong if United or another club revive their interest.
Reports earlier this week suggested United are among a number of clubs interested in young forward Ansu Fati with his agent Jorge Mendes apparently approaching potential suitors.
Fati, 20, has struggled for game time this season and Diario Sport reported interest in a player Barcelona value at £90million.
More Stories
LESOTHO BEARS THE BRUNT AS NEW US TARIFFS SHAKE AFRICA
The small African kingdom of Lesotho said Thursday it would “urgently” send a government delegation to the United States to...
OVER 60% OF CORRUPTION CASES LINKED TO HEALTHCARE, INFRASTRUCTURE FUNDS — ICPC
The Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, Musa Aliyu (SAN), has revealed that over 60...
UK COURT ORDERS TRUMP TO PAY £625K OVER FAILED LAWSUIT
The High Court in London on Thursday ordered US President Donald Trump to pay £625,000 ($741,000) in legal costs after...
FERNANDEZ FIRES CHELSEA INTO FOURTH, PILING PRESSURE ON POSTECOGLOU
Chelsea climbed to fourth place in the Premier League as Enzo Fernandez sealed a 1-0 win that piled pressure on...
COURT BARS POLICE, DSS FROM ARRESTING FUBARA’S CHIEF OF STAFF
A Rivers State High Court in Port Harcourt has barred the Nigerian Police and the Department of State Services from...
I’LL SOON EXPOSE SEXUAL ASSAULT EVIDENCE AGAINST AKPABIO — NATASHA
Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan of Kogi Central Senatorial District says she will soon present evidence of sexual harassment against Senate President...