
REPS ASK CNS TO TACKLE PIRATES ON A’IBOM WATERWAYS
The House of Representatives has, on Thursday, issued a mandate to the Chief of Naval Staff and heads of relevant security agencies to take urgent and proactive steps against pirates terrorizing fishermen on the Akwa Ibom State Waterways.
The House condemned the development and vowed to address the matter without delay.
Tagged “Urgent need to stop the continuous killings of fishermen by pirates terrorizing Akwa Ibom State Waterways,” the motion was sponsored by Alphonsus Uduak.
The House, he said, “is aware of the persistent activities of sea pirates which of course has continually aggravated threats to users of waterways including fishermen, who are often vulnerable, thereby truncating their trades and adversely impacting on the economy of Akwa Ibom State and Nigeria at large.”
He added that the parliament is aware of “Man’s inhumanity to man masterminded by pirates against fishermen, having killed nine and inflicted gun shot and machete injuries on 15 others, as at last week in Uta Ewa, Ikot Abasi Local Government Area within the Akwa Ibom State waterways.
“We are worried that in few weeks, pirates have seized more than 200 wooden boats belonging to fishermen in the aforementioned coastal line and further worried that fishermen are currently living at the mercies of these pirates and are often forced to pay royalties ranging from N400, 000 to N600, 000 monthly before exploring the waterways, failure which they risk attacks.”
More Stories
BRT BUS IN FLAMES: DRIVER, MOTOR BOY FLEE AS PASSENGERS ESCAPE DEATH IN LAGOS
Passengers aboard a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) vehicle narrowly escaped death on Saturday morning after the bus caught fire in...
UK LABOUR PARTY SUSPENDS MP DAN NORRIS AFTER RAPE ARREST
The UK’s ruling Labour Party on Saturday said that it had suspended MP Dan Norris after he was arrested on...
LAGOS INVESTIGATES DEATH OF PREGNANT WOMAN REFUSED HOSPITAL CARE DURING LABOUR
The Lagos State Government has vowed to hold accountable all parties involved in what it described as “tragic and shocking...
FRSC OFFICIAL, 24 DEAD IN HORRIFIC OGUN MULTIPLE CRASHES
At least 25 people, including an official of the Federal Road Safety Corps lost their lives while eight people were...
MOURINHO HANDED THREE-MATCH BAN, £6,000 FINE FOR NOSE-GRABBING INCIDENT
Fenerbahce manager Jose Mourinho has been banned for three matches and handed a fine of around £6,000 ($7,734.00) after grabbing...
EXAM MALPRACTICE: DON WANTS SMARTPHONES BANNED IN SCHOOLS, VARSITIES
In a bid to curtail the increasing rate of examination malpractice and impact of social media on academic performance government...