
NO LIFE LOST IN NIGER BUILDING COLLAPSE – NSEMA
The Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA), has said that no life was lost in a building collapse at Sabon-Gari area of Minna metropolis in Niger.
The Director-General of the agency, Alhaji Abdullahi Baba-Arah, confirmed this in a statement in Minna on Saturday.
Baba-Arah said the agency received a distress call at about 3:15 p.m. on Friday of a building collapsed at Sabon Gari area of Minna.
He said the agency alerted the emergency responding agencies for search and rescue operations.
“The search and rescue operations were conducted by officials of NSEMA, National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), State Urban Development Board, and State Environmental Protection Agency in conjunction with the Federal Fire Service.
“The police, NSCDC, NDLEA, the Red Cross, vigilant groups and some volunteers also joined,” he said.
He said that five persons had been rescued with varying degree of injuries while two others escaped unhurt, adding that, “no one was trapped”.
According to him, preliminary investigation shows that the story building is meant for residential purpose and later converted to a warehouse.
The director general said the owner of the building had no approval to convert it to a warehouse as the building was poorly constructed with substandard materials.
Baba-Arah said the warehouse was stocked with soft drinks of about 25 trucks, which overpowered the structure resulting to its collapse.
He said the state’s Urban Development Board has ordered complete demolition of the building, adding that those injured were receiving treatment in a hospital within Minna metropolis. (NAN)
More Stories
POLICE STORM CRIMINAL CAMP IN ANAMBRA, SEIZE RELIEF ITEMS
The Anambra State Police Command has dismantled a criminal hideout in Ogbunka, Orumba South Local Government Area. According to a...
PICTORIAL: GLAMOUR AS ROYALTY, DIGNITARIES HONOUR ALAAFIN’S CORONATION
Prominent individuals from various parts of the country convened at Olivet Baptist High School in Oyo on Saturday for the...
SEVEN DEAD, FOUR INJURED IN MULTI-VEHICLE CRASH ON LAGOS-IBADAN EXPRESSWAY (PHOTOS)
A devastating multi-vehicle crash involving two fuel tankers and a commercial transport bus claimed seven lives and left four others...
IED PLANTED BY ISWAP EXPLODES IN BORNO, INJURING ONE
An improvised explosive device (IED) detonated in Meleri Village, Damboa Local Government Area, on Saturday, leaving one person injured. ...
‘UNITY, PROSPERITY OF YORUBALAND TOP OF MY PRIORITIES’ – OBA OWOADE, NEW ALAAFIN
Oba Abimbola Akeem Owoade is officially installed today as the new Alaafin of Oyo in Oyo town, Oyo State....
OYO BUZZES WITH ANTICIPATION FOR ALAAFIN’S CORONATION
Here’s the paraphrased version in sentence case: The ancient town of Oyo in Oyo State is buzzing with excitement ahead...