Abramovich splashes £500m on Stamford Bridge
#MTNshortz3sixtyworld
Roman Abramovich will resume redevelopment work at Stamford Bridge and rejected reports that their Russian owner is ready to sell the club.
Only two months after Sportsmail revealed that Britain’s richest man, Jim Ratcliffe, had failed in an attempt to buy Chelsea despite tabling a £2billion offer, the Sunday Times reported that Abramovich had enlisted the services of an American investment bank to attract a buyer.
However a club source insisted on Sunday that the situation remained unchanged since Ratcliffe’s advances were rejected, adding that Abramovich has no desire to sell.
Indeed, Sportsmail can reveal that staff at Stamford Bridge have been told work on a £500million redevelopment will resume at the stadium even if a date has yet been specified.
At the end of May the club announced that the project to increase the stadium’s capacity to 60,000 had been shelved because of the ‘current unfavourable investment climate’.
It was widely seen as Abramovich’s response to problems the Russian oligarch had encountered with the Home Office over his UK investor’s visa, but while there remain concerns about the economy— particularly with the uncertainty over Brexit — club insiders are confident the owner will deliver on his vision for the stadium.
More Stories
FERNANDEZ FIRES CHELSEA INTO FOURTH, PILING PRESSURE ON POSTECOGLOU
Chelsea climbed to fourth place in the Premier League as Enzo Fernandez sealed a 1-0 win that piled pressure on...
OLMO, VICTOR APPROVED TO COMPLETE SEASON WITH BARCELONA
On Thursday, Spain's sports commission announced that Dani Olmo and Pau Victor will be permitted to continue playing for Barcelona...
UEFA PRESIDENT SLAMS FIFA’S 64 TEAM WORLD CUP AS ‘BAD IDEA’
Agency Report UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said on Thursday it would be “a bad idea” for FIFA to expand the...
SPORT NEWS: SKIING WORLD CUP CHAMPION BRIGNONE SUFFERS BROKEN LEG
Agency Report Alpine skiing World Cup champion Federica Brignone suffered a broken leg at the Italian championships on Thursday when...
SPORT: PROSECUTORS DEMAND JAIL TERM FOR ANCELOTTI FOR TAX FRAUD
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti’s tax fraud trial wrapped up Thursday in Spain, with public prosecutors seeking demanding he be...
SPAIN PROSECUTORS TO APPEAL RULING OVERTURNING ALVES’ RAPE CONVICTION
Spanish prosecutors said Wednesday they would a appeal a court ruling that overturned former Brazil international footballer Dani Alves’ rape...