
UPDATE: 64 BOKO HARAM TERRORISTS ESCAPE KUJE PRISON – DEFENCE MINISTER
By Sumayyah Olapade
The attack on the Kuje custodial centre in Abuja led to the release of no fewer than 64 Boko Haram militants.
Terrorists from Boko Haram allegedly attack the facility on Tuesday night.
According to reports, 300 convicts have been apprehended so far after 600 were supposed to have escaped the custodial centre.
64 Boko Haram militants were being held in prison, the Minister of Defense, Major General Bashir Magashi (retired), told reporters at the center, adding that all had been freed by the attackers.
Well, we also heard about the attack, he said. Between 10 and 10:25 am, the incident began, and security personnel recaptured some people. In reality, they arrived in large groups and liberated a number of prisoners. Now, we’re attempting to determine what kind of prisoners they freed.
“We are doing everything we can to ensure that every escape from a jail cell is brought back to the prison yard.
“We currently have 600 of the estimated 994 detainees inside. A lot of people are being captured again. According to the documents, the individuals who came to carry out this action are members of a certain group, and all signs point to Boko Haram.
“Currently, they are about 64 of them as inmates and we could not locate them.”
More Stories
OYO STRENGTHENS SECURITY AHEAD OF ALAAFIN’S CORONATION ON SATURDAY
With the coronation of the 46th Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Akeem Owoade, scheduled for Saturday, April 5, 2025, the Oyo...
ANAMBRA 2025: UMEOJI WITHDRAWS FROM APC PRIMARIES
In the lead-up to the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary election in Anambra, scheduled for Saturday, one of the...
PLATEAU ATTACK DEATH TOLL RISES TO 52
The death toll from recent gunmen attacks in several communities within the Bokkos Local Government Area of Plateau State has...
NAVY INTERCEPTS 400,000 LITRES OF STOLEN CRUDE IN DELTA OPERATION
The Nigerian Navy’s Operation Delta Sanity II recovered over 400,000 litres of stolen crude oil across the Niger Delta in...
TINUBU APPOINTS AYO SOTINRIN AS BANK OF AGRICULTURE MD
President Bola Tinubu has appointed Ayo Sotinrin as the new Managing Director of the Bank of Agriculture (BOA), with immediate...
WORK TO BEGIN ON INDEPENDENCE BRIDGE IN THREE WEEKS – UMAHI REVEALS
The Minister of Works, Dave Umahi, says that permanent work on the Independence Bridge will commence in three weeks. Briefing...