Military force limit world health organization operation in Juba
The World Health Organization says its staff has been obstructed from doing their work in South Sudan’s capital and expressed concern about the conflict’s likely impact on healthcare services.
Spokesman Tarik Jašareviæ said in a statement that “the movement of WHO staff in Juba was being restricted by military forces.” He did not provide more details.
But he said that some days ago the WHO had managed to supply the Juba Teaching Hospital with essential medicine and body bags. “Medical kits would be distributed to partners on protection of civilians’ sites, and the WHO was mobilizing additional human and financial resources,” he said.
Jašareviæ pointed out, however, that even before the latest fighting the healthcare sector faced funding shortfalls this year. “Out of the USD 7.5 million which the WHO needed for health interventions in South Sudan, only USD 4.3 million had been received thus far. The health cluster as a whole was only 28 percent funded,” UN agency reported
More Stories
PLATEAU: HEAVY RAINSTORM DESTROYS OVER 70 HOUSES
Significant damage was caused by a strong downpour that struck multiple settlements in Plateau State's Langtang South Local Government Area....
LAGOS TOURISM TO HOST NIGERIA’S BIGGEST SMEs TRADE FAIR WITH ₦5 BILLION SALES TARGET
The 2025 Lagos Tourism NBC Trade Fair is poised to be Nigeria’s largest trade event, projecting ₦5 billion in sales,...
UZOR ‘ODOGWU’ ARUKWE RESPONDS AFTER SEGUN ARINZE CROWNS HIM BIGGEST NOLLYWOOD ACTOR
Nollywood actor Uzor Arukwe has shared his excitement after veteran actor Segun Arinze referred to him as the biggest...
POLICE NAB SUSPECTED KIDNAPPER, RESCUE TWO STUDENTS IN NASARAWA
Police in Nasarawa State have apprehended a suspected kidnapper at a student lodge near Nasara Estate, Tudun Kauri, Lafia. The...
OFFICIAL: PREMIER LEAGUE TO LAUNCH SEMI-AUTOMATED OFFSIDE TECHNOLOGY APRIL 12
The Premier League announced on Tuesday that it will introduce semi-automated offside technology (SAOT) this season, starting on matchday 32....
BREAKING: GOV ADELEKE VOWS TO REMOVE MONARCHS OVER PERSISTENT UNREST
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has warned that any traditional ruler whose domain experiences recurring violence will be removed from...