Zimbabwe Parliament Summons Mugabe Over $15billion Diamonds
A Zimbabwe parliament committee has summoned former president Robert Mugabe to give evidence on May 9 over diamond corruption costing billions of dollars, underlining his dramatic fall from power after 37 years of autocratic rule.
Mugabe, now 94, ruled Zimbabwe from 1980 until he was ousted last year when the military took over briefly and his once-loyal ZANU-PF party lawmakers turned against him.
“We have set May 9 as the date on which he will give evidence,” Temba Mliswa, the mines and energy parliament committee chairman, told the state-owned Herald newspaper.
“We met today (Thursday) as a committee and resolved that we invite the former President Mr Mugabe to our committee to explain the disappearance of $15 billion worth of diamonds,” said Mliswa, an independent MP.
The lawmakers plan to question Mugabe over his 2016 claim that the country had lost the $15 billion sum due to corruption and foreign exploitation in the diamond sector.
It was unclear whether Mugabe, who is in frail health, was likely to agree to appear before the committee or to make moves to avoid a potential grilling.
Source: Channels
READ ALSO:Catholic Church must help the poor – Pope Francis
More Stories
WORLD NEWS: CANADA RETALIATES WITH 25% TARIFF ON SOME US AUTO IMPORTS
Canada said it would impose a 25 per cent tariff on some autos imported from the United States, retaliating against...
DELTA HIGHLIGHTS CURRENT FLOOD CONTROL EFFORTS AMIDST HEAVY RAINFALL
Wednesday night, after several hours of intense rain, vehicles were stopped at Agbor, Ika South Local Government Area, Delta State....
JUST IN: NSA RECEIVES EX-NYSC DG TSIGA, 18 OTHER RESCUED KIDNAP VICTIMS
The National Counter Terrorism Center has handed over the former Director General of the National Youth Service Corps, Maharazu Tsiga,...
WIKE DISMISSES VIRAL REPORT THAT HE COLLAPSED
Nyesom Wike, the minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), denied on Thursday that he had fainted last week, calling...
‘BLATANT LIES’ PRINCE HARRY HITS AT AFRICA CHARITY
Prince Harry said Thursday he was relieved the UK’s charity watchdog had opened a probe into Sentebale, the African group...
CRIME: COURT JAILS US-BOUND TRAVELLER FOR UNDECLARED $20,000, ORDERS FORFEITURE TO FG
Olusola Okunfulure, a traveler headed to the United States, was found guilty of money laundering and given a three-month prison...