UNIDENTIFIED DRIVER KILLS MADMAN, TWO OTHER PERSONS IN PORT HARCOURT
The driver, who also died in the accident that occurred at about 7 am, left a girl critically injured.
The car, a Lexus ES 300 with Registration Number – Rivers BNY 317 BK – fell two electricity poles before it finally hit the fence of an office complex.
An eyewitness, who identified himself as Ephraim, said the driver might have been drunk or on a suicide mission. He further said that the driver had earlier killed one person around Army Day School, near Polo Club in GRA, Port Harcourt, and refused to stop.
Ephraim disclosed that a man, who had trailed the errant driver after the first accident near Polo Club, had to turn back when he heard a deafening noise and saw how the car rammed into a fence.
He said apart from the two persons that were killed on Tombia Extension, a mentally ill man was crushed to death while a girl that was hit by the car was rushed to the hospital after being seriously injured.
“The driver must have been terribly drunk or on a suicide mission. The speed can only be compared to the one engaged by vehicles on an expressway. If the man wanted to commit suicide, he did not have to take other people’s lives,” he said.
Also, a man, who works in one of the stores on Tombia Extension, identified one of the accident victims as his friend. He said he could use the deceased person’s dress and ring to identify him.
“One of the victims was Adam; he worked in one of the shops around here. We always went home together after work every day, but with what has happened now, I will not see him again.
“I was able to recognise him using his shirt and ring. The car really hit him hard so I could not recognise him immediately. Something must have gone wrong for the driver of that car to have acted in such a manner and killed himself and other road users,” the man, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.
However, the shops on the ground floor of the office complex have been locked up as policemen from Abacha Division cordoned off the place to prevent passersby from tampering with evidence at the accident scene.
It was gathered that nobody was chasing the driver, who was the only occupant of the car before the latest accident occurred.
When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Nnamdi Omoni, confirmed the incident, adding that the driver was probably drunk.
“I think he (driver) was drunk or something happened to him. He was speeding and did not stop, even after hitting and killing the first person. In all, four persons died, including him and a mentally ill man. Investigation on the matter is currently ongoing,” Omoni said.
More Stories
HEALTH: SIERRA LEONE STARTS MPOX VACCINATION AS CASES RISE
Sierra Leone on Wednesday started injecting frontline health care workers and high risk-individuals and children from age 12 with a...
NATASHA SLAMS YAHAYA BELLO, URGES HIM TO FOCUS ON CLEARING HIS NAME
Senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, has urged former governor Yahaya Bello to focus on addressing the corruption allegations against...
UPDATE: POLICE UNCOVER CRIMINAL HIDEOUT AT SAGAMU INTERCHANGE, BEEF UP SECURITY
The Ogun State Police Command on Wednesday said it has beefed up security around the Sagamu interchange, on the Lagos-Ibadan...
FORMER NYSC DG, TSIGA, REGAINS FREEDOM FROM KIDNAPPERS DEN AFTER 2 MONTHS
The former Director General (DG) of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brig,-Gen Maharazu Tsiga (rtd) has regained freedom from...
JUST IN: FG ORDERS IMMEDIATE REOPENING OF INDEPENDENCE BRIDGE IN LAGOS
The Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi has directed the immediate reopening of the Independence Bridge in Lagos to vehicular...
LAGOS GOVT ISSUES 24-HOUR EVICTION NOTICE TO UNDER BRIDGE LIVESTOCK REARERS
The Lagos State Government has issued a 24-hour eviction notice to individuals illegally occupying the Oja Oba Underbridge at Adeniji...