
MARCELO SLAMMED WITH THREE-MATCH BAN AFTER LEG-BREAKING TACKLE IN COPA LIB
Former Brazil international Marcelo has been handed a three-match ban by CONMEBOL after his lunge at Argentinos Juniors’ Luciano Sanchez left the defender with a horrific injury in a Copa Libertadores clash in Buenos Aires last week.
The 35-year-old left-back who plays for Fluminese is also slammed with a $6,000 fine, South American soccer’s governing body added on Thursday.
Marcelo was dribbling towards Sanchez when his leading foot went past the ball and caught the Argentine high on the shin with force. The Argentinos player’s leg buckled underneath him at a shocking angle, leaving him lying in agony on the pitch.
Sanchez left the pitch on a stretcher with what was later confirmed to be a fracture that the team doctor said he had “never seen before”.
The ex-Real Madrid player was sent off in tears following the incident in the 1-1 draw in the last 16, first leg.
“Today I had a very difficult moment on the pitch,” Marcelo posted on Instagram hours later. “I unintentionally injured a fellow player. I want to wish him the best possible recovery. All the strength in the world.”
Marcelo has already served the first game of his three-match ban by missing the second leg where the Brazilian side won 2-0.
More Stories
POLICE RESCUE KIDNAPPED FOREIGNER IN TARABA
The Taraba State Police Command, in collaboration with the military and hunters, have rescued a kidnapped foreign national. The Israeli...
VETERAN BOLLYWOOD STAR MANOJ KUMAR DIES AT 87 AFTER PROLONGED ILLNESS
Manoj Kumar, an Indian actor best known for his parts in patriotic Hindi-language films, passed away on Friday at the...
BREAKING: SUPREME COURT OVERTURNS JUDGMENT AFFIRMING ABURE AS LP NATIONAL CHAIRMAN
The Supreme Court has set aside the judgment of the Court of Appeal in Abuja recognising Julius Abure as the...
CRIME: THREE FOREIGNERS ARRESTED IN NASARAWA ILLEGAL MINING SITE RAID
An illicit mining facility in the Rafin-Gabas neighborhood of Kokona Local Government Area, Nasarawa State, has been closed by the...
BODE GEORGE TO TINUBU: RIVERS, NATASHA SAGA THREATEN NIGERIA’S DEMOCRACY
Former Deputy National chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Chief ‘Bode George, yesterday, said the declaration of a state...
JAMB OPENS PORTAL FOR 2025 UTME MOCK EXAM SLIP PRINTING
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has announced that candidates who registered to participate in the 2025 optional UTME-Mock examination...