
SUPER LEAGUE VERDICT: EU COURT RULES FIFA, UEFA ACTED ‘UNLAWFULLY’
The prospects of a future European Super League have been boosted after judges said UEFA rules blocking the formation of such a competition were contrary to EU law.
The Grand Chamber of the European Court of Justice had been asked to decide whether UEFA and FIFA acted against competition law by blocking the formation of the European Super League in 2021 and then seeking to sanction the clubs involved.
The court has now ruled that UEFA and FIFA rules granting prior approval for new competitions are contrary to EU law.
A release issued by the court said such rules were “contrary to competition law and the freedom to provide services”.
A non-binding decision delivered by the Advocate General in the case last December found rules allowing UEFA to have prior approval of new competitions were compatible with EU law.
The original 2021 Super League proposal was criticised for its ‘closed’ format, with 15 founder clubs set to have been immune from relegation.
A22, a company formed to assist in the creation of that competition, has now drafted revised plans for a multi-division event featuring 60 to 80 teams, which it insists, crucially, will be open to all.
Following the ruling, A22 posted comments from their CEO Bernd Reichart on X, formerly known as Twitter: “We have won the #RightToCompete. The UEFA-monopoly is over. Football is FREE. Clubs are now free from the threat of sanction AND free to determine their own futures.
More Stories
MINISTER DENIES OWING N200M, DISMISSES SEXUAL HARASSMENT CLAIMS
The Minister of Works, Dave Umahi, has denied owing a businesswoman, Tracynither Ohiri, N200 million for promotional materials she supplied...
COURT ORDERS FINAL FORFEITURE OF ABUJA, KANO PROPERTIES TIED TO FIRS OFFICIAL
The Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday, ordered the final forfeiture of two property linked to a staff member...
DEAD PREGNANT WOMAN: LAGOS HOSPITAL DENIES DEMANDING N500K FOR TREATMENT
The Lagos private hospital, As Salam Convalescent Centre, located in Iwerekun 1, Ibeju/Lekki, has denied claims that it demanded an...
LESOTHO BEARS THE BRUNT AS NEW US TARIFFS SHAKE AFRICA
The small African kingdom of Lesotho said Thursday it would “urgently” send a government delegation to the United States to...
OVER 60% OF CORRUPTION CASES LINKED TO HEALTHCARE, INFRASTRUCTURE FUNDS — ICPC
The Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, Musa Aliyu (SAN), has revealed that over 60...
UK COURT ORDERS TRUMP TO PAY £625K OVER FAILED LAWSUIT
The High Court in London on Thursday ordered US President Donald Trump to pay £625,000 ($741,000) in legal costs after...