
GABON BORDERS CLOSED AS MILITARY ANNOUNCE DISSOLUTION OF THE REPUBLIC
Gabon’s borders are closed until further notice, soldiers who have seized power said in a statement broadcast on the Gabon 24 television channel.
“The borders are closed until further notice,” said one of the soldiers, speaking on behalf of a “Committee for the Transition and Restoration of Institutions”.
Senior Gabonese military officers appeared on national television to announce that they have taken power.
The group of 12 officers made the announcement shortly after Gabon’s election body reported early on Wednesday morning that President Ali Bongo had won a third term in office.
After observing “irresponsible, unpredictable governance resulting in a continuing deterioration in social cohesion that risks leading the country into chaos… we have decided to defend peace by putting an end to the current regime”, one of the soldiers said, speaking on the Gabon 24 TV channel.
There was no immediate comment from the Gabon government, Reuters news agency reported.
The soldiera appeared on Gabonese national television, announcing the cancellation of recent election results and the dissolution of “all the institutions of the republic”.
The apparent coup follows shortly after the national election authority’s announcement on Wednesday that Gabon’s President Ali Bongo Ondimba had been re-elected for a third term.
Soldiers appearing on TV channel Gabon 24 says, “We have decided to defend peace by putting an end to the current regime”.
Gunfire is reported in the Gabonese capital, Libreville, according to media reports.
Gabon’s political opposition branded the election a “fraud orchestrated by Ali Bongo and his supporters”.
More Stories
POLICE DISCOVER BODY OF SITE ENGINEER MURDERED, BURIED BY WORKERS IN DELTA
The body of 38-year-old site engineer Chigozie Udalor, who was allegedly murdered and buried in a shallow grave by his...
SHETTIMA LIVES FOR DAKAR TO ATTEND SENEGAL 65TH INDEPENDENCE
The vice president, Kashim Shettima, has departed Abuja for Dakar, Senegal, to represent President Bola Tinubu at the country’s 65th...
BREAKING: INEC REFUSES PETITION TO RECALL NATASHA
INEC, the Independent National Electoral Commission, has denied the recall petition for Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, the legislator representing Kogi Central Senatorial...
UPDATED: INEC DECLARES PETITION AGAINST NATASHA INADEQUATE
The Independent National Electoral Commission INEC on Thursday said the petition to recall the Senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan...
2025 UTME: MOCK NOTIFICATION SLIP NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRINTING
The 2025 UTME-Mock Notification Slip is now printable for applicants who registered to take the optional mock exam, according to...
RETIRED DSP WHO ALLEGEDLY KILLED THREE OVER LAND DISPUTE DIES UNDER MYSTERIOUS CIRCUMSTANCES
Charles Atideka, a retired Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), is accused of killing three family members in Badagry, Lagos State,...