
UPDATE: WINDSTORM KILLS FIVE, INJURES THREE IN BAUCHI
Five persons have been killed with three seriously injured following a windstorm that occurred on Saturday night in Bauchi state.
The injured victims are receiving treatment at the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital Bauchi.
Most of the victims were brought in from the venue of the recently concluded joint northeast trade fair at Ibrahim Babangida Square in the Bauchi metropolis.
The Public Relations Officer of the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital Bauchi, Abdullahi Kobi, confirmed the casualty figures to in a telephone conversation on Sunday.
“It is true that we received a certain number of casualties from the scene of the incident. Unfortunately, two were brought in dead, while around three had severe injuries from the head to the abdomen and succumbed shortly after arrival,” Kobi said.
“Currently, we have three patients with multiple fractures who are receiving treatment and are gradually improving. Once our medical team completes their report on the actual number of deceased, we will provide an update.”
According to the Commissioner for Commerce and Industries, Mahmud Babamaji, the trade fair venue was indeed hit, affecting the Gombe and Yobe pavilions.
He said that although the officials from those states had already returned to their respective states, as the trade fair had closed 4 days ago, there were still participants at the venue who were yet to leave.
The commissioner explained that the participants sought refuge in the pavilion when the windstorm struck, but unfortunately, it collapsed on them.
More Stories
LESOTHO BEARS THE BRUNT AS NEW US TARIFFS SHAKE AFRICA
The small African kingdom of Lesotho said Thursday it would “urgently” send a government delegation to the United States to...
OVER 60% OF CORRUPTION CASES LINKED TO HEALTHCARE, INFRASTRUCTURE FUNDS — ICPC
The Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, Musa Aliyu (SAN), has revealed that over 60...
UK COURT ORDERS TRUMP TO PAY £625K OVER FAILED LAWSUIT
The High Court in London on Thursday ordered US President Donald Trump to pay £625,000 ($741,000) in legal costs after...
FERNANDEZ FIRES CHELSEA INTO FOURTH, PILING PRESSURE ON POSTECOGLOU
Chelsea climbed to fourth place in the Premier League as Enzo Fernandez sealed a 1-0 win that piled pressure on...
COURT BARS POLICE, DSS FROM ARRESTING FUBARA’S CHIEF OF STAFF
A Rivers State High Court in Port Harcourt has barred the Nigerian Police and the Department of State Services from...
I’LL SOON EXPOSE SEXUAL ASSAULT EVIDENCE AGAINST AKPABIO — NATASHA
Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan of Kogi Central Senatorial District says she will soon present evidence of sexual harassment against Senate President...