
WORLD NEWS: RUSSIAN STRIKE KILLS SIX, WOUNDS 23 IN UKRAINE’S ZAPORIZHZHIA
A Russian strike on an infrastructure facility in the Ukrainian city of Zaporizhzhia near the front line killed six people and wounded 23 more, authorities said Tuesday.
The industrial hub had a pre-war population of more than 700,000 people and lies around 35 kilometres from the nearest Russian positions.
The head of the Zaporizhzhia region Ivan Fedorov reported the toll on social media while prosecutors said a civilian infrastructure facility had been damaged in the ballistic missile attack.
The Ukrainian president’s chief of staff, Andriy Yermak, said the Russian strike illustrated that his country needed more support from allies.
“This violence must be stopped by strong action. A stronger stance of the allies is needed,” he wrote on social media.
Zaporizhzhia city has come under increasing Russian aerial bombardments in recent weeks and analysts of the Russian invasion have speculated the Kremlin could launch an offensive towards the city this winter.
The Kremlin claimed to have annexed the wider Zaporizhzhia region in late 2022 despite not having full military control over the region.
In a separate attack on the eastern region of Kharkiv, authorities said Russian shelling killed a man and woman — both 48-years-old — in the village of Glushkivka.
Russian forces are also advancing in the Kharkiv region and are pressuring the civilian hub of Kupiansk, where authorities have urged civilians to flee.
More Stories
BODE GEORGE TO TINUBU: RIVERS, NATASHA SAGA THREATEN NIGERIA’S DEMOCRACY
Former Deputy National chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Chief ‘Bode George, yesterday, said the declaration of a state...
JAMB OPENS PORTAL FOR 2025 UTME MOCK EXAM SLIP PRINTING
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has announced that candidates who registered to participate in the 2025 optional UTME-Mock examination...
SOUTH KOREA COURT SACKS PRESIDENT YOON KEOL
South Korea’s top court on Friday unanimously ruled to remove impeached president Yoon Suk Yeol from office over his disastrous...
MINISTER DENIES OWING N200M, DISMISSES SEXUAL HARASSMENT CLAIMS
The Minister of Works, Dave Umahi, has denied owing a businesswoman, Tracynither Ohiri, N200 million for promotional materials she supplied...
COURT ORDERS FINAL FORFEITURE OF ABUJA, KANO PROPERTIES TIED TO FIRS OFFICIAL
The Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday, ordered the final forfeiture of two property linked to a staff member...
DEAD PREGNANT WOMAN: LAGOS HOSPITAL DENIES DEMANDING N500K FOR TREATMENT
The Lagos private hospital, As Salam Convalescent Centre, located in Iwerekun 1, Ibeju/Lekki, has denied claims that it demanded an...