ABUJA FLOODS: FCT LANDLORDS, BUSINESS OWNERS DEMAND URGENT GOVERNMENT ACTION

By; Sunmola Ganiyat
The FCT Stakeholders Forum for Development has urged the Federal Capital Territory Administration to take immediate steps to tackle the recurring flooding affecting several parts of Abuja.
The forum, made up of landlords, business owners and investors in the FCT, made the call on Wednesday during a press conference in Abuja.
Speaking on behalf of the group, its Chairman, Chief David Kente, said recent flooding had submerged homes, cut off roads and disrupted businesses and livelihoods, stressing that urgent intervention was needed to prevent further damage.
Kente said the forum’s independent assessment of some affected areas identified rapid urban expansion, blocked drainage systems and indiscriminate waste disposal as major factors contributing to the flooding.
He also blamed the removal of drainage covers by scavengers for worsening the blockage of waterways across the capital.
While acknowledging criticisms over alleged violations of the Abuja Master Plan, the forum said the flooding problem did not begin under the current administration of the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike.
The group noted that Abuja had experienced flooding under previous administrations, arguing that the issue should be treated as a long-standing urban planning and environmental challenge rather than blamed solely on the present administration.
However, the forum said the 1979 Abuja Master Plan had become outdated and urgently needed to be reviewed to reflect the territory’s rapid population growth and increasing infrastructural demands.
Kente said the master plan no longer adequately addressed the realities of a capital city with a population of more than 3.5 million people.
He urged the FCT Administration to prioritise the desilting of drainage channels, enforce regulations against encroachment and undertake a comprehensive review and modernisation of the 1979 Master Plan.
The call comes amid increased concerns over flood preparedness across the country, with the National Emergency Management Agency activating its National Emergency Operations Centre earlier in August to strengthen flood monitoring and response coordination.
The Nigeria Meteorological Agency had also identified the FCT among areas at high risk of flash flooding, citing factors such as rainfall intensity, soil moisture, terrain and drainage capacity.
Despite its concerns, the forum expressed support for Wike’s administration, citing ongoing road construction, urban renewal and other infrastructure projects across the territory.
Kente described Wike as “Mr Project” and said the administration’s infrastructure drive could contribute significantly to Abuja’s economic development if accompanied by effective environmental planning.
He, however, urged the administration to ensure that infrastructure projects did not aggravate existing environmental challenges.
The forum also called for strict compliance with development regulations and due process to minimise the impact of construction and urban expansion on residents.
Kente expressed optimism that Abuja could become a flood-resilient capital through stronger urban planning, political will and collaboration between the government and residents.
Meanwhile, Deputy Spokesman of the House of Representatives, Philip Agbese, defended Wike against criticism over the flooding, saying residents should also take responsibility for activities that contribute to the problem.
Agbese argued that it was unfair to hold the FCT minister solely responsible for the floods, noting that the administration had embarked on several projects aimed at improving roads, drainage, transportation and other critical infrastructure across the territory.
