JUST IN: BARCA SACK VALDES AS YOUTH TEAM COACH AFTER FURIOUS ROW WITH KLUIVERT
Barcelona have axed academy coach Victor Valdes after he reportedly had a furious row with former Holland striker Patrick Kluivert.
Franc Artiga has replaced former Barca goalkeeper Valdes, who had only taken over as the Under-19 coach this year after a season at Moratalaz.
Valdes was prevented from taking charge of the youth team at the weekend as Nou Camp chiefs looked into his position following the spat with former Barca legend Kluivert.
The former Ajax striker became Director of Youth Football in the summer in a big shake-up at the Nou Camp.
According to Catalunya Radio, the pair have been at loggerheads since then.
But last week, the row hit boiling point.
In a statement published on the Barcelona website, the club said: “Victor Valdes, coach of Juvenil A, will not travel to the game, which will be played against Gimnastic de Tarragona at the Municipal Camp de la Pobla de Mafumet.”
Former Spain No1 Valdes, 37, won six La Liga titles and three Champions League crowns at Barca, having come through the ranks.
The former Manchester United stopper only returned to the club in July but Kluivert’s seniority meant Valdes had to go as the war of words continued.
Kluivert was at the Nou Camp from 1998 to 2004, winning the La Liga title in 1999.
They were team-mates in 2002, before Kluivert joined Newcastle.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The Sun
More Stories
UNILORIN ALUMNI REJOICES WITH NANDAP, OMOTOWA, ARIBISALA ON THEIR APPOINTMENTS
ILORIN, APRIL 2, 2025: The National Headquarters of University of Ilorin Alumni Association has lauded President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for...
SENATE DEP. PRESIDENT DONATES N16m TO FAMILIES OF LYNCHED TRAVELLERS
Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Barau Jibrin, on Wednesday, visited Bunkure Local Government Area of Kano State, offering condolences...
SOUTH AFRICAN COURT CLEARS NIGERIAN PASTOR TIM OMOTOSO OF RAPE CHARGES
A South African court found a Nigerian televangelist not guilty on 32 charges Wednesday, eight years after he was jailed...
ENUGU POLICE DISMISS REPORTS OF HERDSMEN INVASION
The Police Command in Enugu State says no part of the state or community, including Eha-Amufu, has been invaded, under...
MAN GETS LIFE SENTENCE FOR SETTING EX-BOSS ABLAZE IN EKITI
An Ekiti State High Court sitting in Ado Ekiti has sentenced a 41-year-old man, Olasunkanmi Kareem, to life imprisonment for...
EDO GOV ELECTION: TRIBUNAL THROWS OUT ACCORD PARTY’S PETITION
The Edo Governorship Election Petition Tribunal has dismissed the Petition of Accord Party, alleging non-compliance and declaration of Governor Okpebholo,...