PANTAMI WITHDRAWS FROM GOMBE APC GUBER PRIMARY OVER UNFAIR ACTIONS OF ELECTORAL PROCESS

Read Time:2 Minute, 33 Second

Isa Pantami, who used to be the minister of communication and digital economy, has left the All Progressives Congress (APC) contest for the governorship position in Gombe state. The election was supposed to happen on May 21.

On Tuesday, Pantami said he was withdrawing because he claimed there were unfair actions during the election process.
He had handed in his official entry form at the APC offices in Abuja on May 7.

Earlier this month, the APC in Gombe declared Jamilu Gwamna as its consensus governorship candidate for the 2027 elections.

But the Pantamiyya Movement refuted the arrangement, saying it violates the provisions of the APC constitution, the party’s national leadership’s directive, and President Bola Tinubu’s instruction.

Pantami would later describe the consensus arrangement as a mere “coronation” that violates statutory mandates of the nation’s electoral law.

Attahir said Pantami’s withdrawal from the governorship primary is in “protest over violations of the Electoral Act 2026 and the party’s failure to provide a channel of communication and information essential for a credible contest”.

“Despite his loyalty, he was repeatedly denied access to critical information. Letters sent by his solicitors to the various organs of the party requesting details and raising concerns about the forthcoming governorship direct primaries received no reply or acknowledgement,” the statement reads.

“The requests were not granted, and the issues remain unresolved. In a democracy, the law must guide the process. Non-compliance with the Electoral Act 2026 and the party guidelines renders the exercise unsafe and illegitimate.

“The people of Gombe State witnessed what transpired during the direct primary ‘elections’ for the National Assembly held on 16 and 18 May 2026.

“The strength of Pantami lies in his massive grassroots support, particularly among women and youths. Unfortunately, in the recent direct primaries, grassroots members were sidelined.

“After extensive consultations with stakeholders and careful reflection on the developments in Gombe State, Prof. Pantami has taken the difficult decision to withdraw from the APC governorship primary election scheduled for 21 May 2026, under protest. Peaceful protest is a fundamental pillar of democracy.

“The protest is based on the blatant disregard for the provisions of the Electoral Act 2026 and the failure of the party leadership to implement the framework required for a credible primary election.

“During the National Assembly primaries, no actual election took place in the state. According to testimony from several aspirants, relevant details on venues, procedures, and agent and observer accreditation were not provided, yet results were announced.

“Even though President Bola Ahmed Tinubu insisted on the necessity of free, fair, and credible direct primaries, his directives were, unfortunately, not implemented.

“Prof. Pantami had requested details on the time and place for accreditation of agents and observers, the procedures for accreditation, voting, and collation, and the location of collation centres. This information should have been provided to all aspirants without being solicited. As of this moment, nothing has been provided.”

Attahir commended Pantami’s supporters for raising funds to purchase the expression of interest and nomination forms for the former minister.

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %