WITNESS: NSA CONFIRMED WIRETAPED CONVERSATION REFERENCED BY EL-RUFAI WAS AUTHENTIC

HOTJIST NEWS
A witness testifying against Nasir el-Rufai in his trial said the national security adviser confirmed that the conversation mentioned by the former Kaduna governor in a TV interview was real.
The witness gave testimony on Tuesday before Judge Joyce Abdulmalik at the federal high court in Abuja, as the case continues with charges of treason and breaking national security laws against el-Rufai.
During proceedings, the prosecution played a 43-minute television interview in which el-Rufai allegedly said a private conversation involving the NSA had been wiretapped and forwarded to him.
The prosecution witness said that after the case was reviewed, investigators talked to the NSA and they verbally confirmed that the conversation mentioned by el-Rufai happened between him and the chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).
The witness also explained that the ICPC chairman confirmed the conversation took place after he heard parts of the interview.
The witness also told the court that Charles Aniagolu, the TV host who did the interview; Deji Adeyanju, an activist and lawyer; and Ugochukwu Agalayana, the cameraman, were all questioned as part of the investigation.
According to the witness, Aniagolu confirmed that el-Rufai said during the interview that someone intercepted the NSA’s conversation and passed it to him.
The witness added that el-Rufai also defended the interception during the interview by arguing that governments routinely monitor communications by citizens.
Statements obtained from Aniagolu and Adeyanju were tendered and admitted in evidence as exhibits C, C1 and E without objection from the defence.
A statement from Agalayana was also admitted as exhibit D after the cameraman confirmed that he set up the recording equipment used for the interview, although he “did not pay attention to the discussion”.
The prosecution witness said investigators considered el-Rufai’s comments during the broadcast an “open confession” relating to the interception of the NSA’s conversation.
The witness added that the investigation team concluded that the alleged act was capable of undermining national security and recommended prosecution.
A preliminary investigation report tendered by the prosecution was admitted as exhibit F.
Under cross-examination by Paul Erokoro, counsel to el-Rufai, the witness admitted that investigators did not examine any communication devices belonging to the NSA, obtain IP addresses or carry out forensic analysis relating to the alleged interception.
The witness, however, noted that such steps became unnecessary after the NSA reportedly confirmed the authenticity of the conversation referenced by el-Rufai.
He also agreed that the former Kaduna governor never claimed during the interview that he personally intercepted the conversation.
But the witness insisted that el-Rufai repeatedly maintained that the discussion had been tapped and forwarded to him.
When asked whether the former governor could have been exaggerating during a politically charged television appearance, the witness said he considered el-Rufai “a person of integrity” and believed he meant what he said.
Following the cross-examination of the first prosecution witness, Abdulmalik adjourned further hearing in the case till June 22 and 23.
