
BREAKING: ATTACK IN SOUTHERN ETHIOPIA KILLS 13
An attack by unidentified terrorists in Ethiopia’s far south killed thirteen people, including five civilians, according to local authorities on Thursday.
Serawit Dibaba, spokeswoman for the local communications affairs department, claimed the three-day attack began late August 17 in the Segen sector of the Konso area, with the gunmen “killing eight police officers and five civilians.”.
“The extremist group has fled the affected area after committing the attack,” he told AFP, without giving further information about the assailants.
READ ALSO :
JUST IN: KENYA POLICE OFFERS CASH REWARD ON ESCAPED SUSPECTED SERIAL KILLER
Serawit said the group had previously engaged in “various crimes including murders and property arson”, and had been responsible for the murder of a policeman last month.
“The security forces are patrolling the area and conducting operations to control remnants of the extremist force,” he added.
The Konso Zone Government Communication Office verified the dead toll in a Facebook post late Wednesday.
It claimed that the perpetrators had set fire to and damaged multiple official buildings, including the district administration office, police station, and conference hall, as well as generators.
Looters also stole hospital equipment and official vehicles, according to the report.
Deadly violence has erupted in the area multiple times before, with intercommunal conflict in 2022 displacing around 37,000 people, according to a UN report at the time.
AFP
More Stories
HEALTH: SIERRA LEONE STARTS MPOX VACCINATION AS CASES RISE
Sierra Leone on Wednesday started injecting frontline health care workers and high risk-individuals and children from age 12 with a...
NATASHA SLAMS YAHAYA BELLO, URGES HIM TO FOCUS ON CLEARING HIS NAME
Senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, has urged former governor Yahaya Bello to focus on addressing the corruption allegations against...
TRUMP SLAPS HEAVY TARIFFS ON CHINA, EU, OTHERS
Agency Report US President Donald Trump on Wednesday unveiled a raft of punishing tariffs targeting countries around the world, including...
UPDATE: POLICE UNCOVER CRIMINAL HIDEOUT AT SAGAMU INTERCHANGE, BEEF UP SECURITY
The Ogun State Police Command on Wednesday said it has beefed up security around the Sagamu interchange, on the Lagos-Ibadan...
FORMER NYSC DG, TSIGA, REGAINS FREEDOM FROM KIDNAPPERS DEN AFTER 2 MONTHS
The former Director General (DG) of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brig,-Gen Maharazu Tsiga (rtd) has regained freedom from...
JUST IN: FG ORDERS IMMEDIATE REOPENING OF INDEPENDENCE BRIDGE IN LAGOS
The Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi has directed the immediate reopening of the Independence Bridge in Lagos to vehicular...