NIGERIAN MAN ALLEGES FORCED RECRUITMENT INTO RUSSIAN ARMY

BY JENN NOMAMIUKOR
Abubakar Adamu, a man from Nigeria, has asked the federal government to quickly help bring him back from Russia.
He says he was tricked into joining the Russian army by being told he would work as a security guard. Zagazola Makama, a counter–terrorism publication, reports that Adamu’s lawyers have told Nigerian officials about his situation in Russia.
His legal representatives said Adamu travelled to Moscow on a tourist visa issued on October 16, 2025, by the Russian Embassy in Abuja and was reportedly promised employment as a sentry.
When he arrived in Russia, his travel documents were reportedly confiscated and he was forced to sign enlistment papers written entirely in Russian language, without an interpreter.
Adamu later found out that he had been signed up for the Russian army.
His lawyers say he is stuck at a Russian military base right now because he didn’t want to go fight in Ukraine.
READ MORE…
KANO RELEASES SAFETY GUIDELINES AMID SURGE IN RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS, CLARIFIES COVID-19 STATUS
On Thursday, Ukraine’s Defense Intelligence reported discovering the bodies of two Nigerians in the Luhansk region. The individuals were believed to be fighting for Russia in the current war.
Two Nigerian men, named Hamzat Kazeem Kolawole, 42, and Mbah Stephen Udoka, 38, died in late November 2025, just a few months after they joined the Russian army.
A recent CNN report found that Africans from Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, and Uganda were tricked into going to Russia.
They were told they would have jobs like driving or guarding, but once they arrived, they were forced to join the military. They didn’t get much training before being sent to fight in the front lines.
On Tuesday, Andrey Podyelyshev, the Russian ambassador to Nigeria, said the reports were not true and made it clear that the Kremlin is not connected to the supposed recruitment programs.
