UMAHI CHALLENGES OHIRI TO PROVE N280M DEBT, DEMANDS EVIDENCE FOR N1BN CLAIM

By: Balogun Ibrahim
The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has instructed his legal team to commence court proceedings against businesswoman Tracy Ohiri over renewed allegations that he owes her ₦280 million for campaign materials.
Ohiri had earlier gone on social media alleging that Umahi was indebted to her for materials supplied during his time as party chairman. The claims, which went viral, also included accusations of sexual harassment against the minister.
Following her arrest and prosecution by security agencies, her lawyer, Marshall Abubakar, intervened in the matter.
Subsequently, Ohiri deleted the posts and issued a public apology, retracting her allegations.
However, days later, Ohiri resurfaced with fresh claims, alleging that she was coerced into retracting her statements and promised payment that was never fulfilled.
READ MORE…
CROSS-RIVER GOVERNOR VISITS CALABAR EXPLOSION SITE, PLEDGES SUPPORT FOR VICTIMS
In a video released on Friday, she further alleged that her lawyer, Marshall Abubakar, pressured her into recording the retraction, claiming that Umahi had agreed to compensate her, which prompted her to reiterate her allegations.
Responding in a statement issued on Saturday by his Senior Special Assistant on Media, Francis Nwaz, Umahi said he had earlier told Abubakar during his intervention that if Ohiri could provide verifiable evidence, logs and communications from the period in question, some of his associates were willing to raise ₦1 billion for her — a condition he said she has yet to meet.
The statement noted that the attention of the Honourable Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi, has been drawn to the ongoing public exchange of claims and counterclaims involving Mrs. Tracy Ohiri and her lawyer, Barr. Marshall Abubakar.
It added that, although the matter might ordinarily have been ignored, it had become necessary to respond in the interest of truth and public clarity.
The statement further clarified that Barr. Marshall Abubakar acted in good faith and was motivated by a desire to assist Mrs. Ohiri, stressing that his involvement was entirely selfless and aimed at resolving the matter amicably.
The statement clarified that Barr. Marshall Abubakar did not at any time discuss or negotiate any payment to Mrs. Ohiri, noting that some associates and well-meaning individuals independently reached out with the aim of assisting her.
It further stated that the Minister had set out two clear options for resolving the matter — either allow the issue to be determined in court, or for Mrs. Ohiri to provide verifiable evidence, including all relevant communications, to support her claims.
The statement also emphasised that Barr. Abubakar acted with integrity throughout and did not request or receive any money from the Minister at any point.
It added that, following the failure to meet the stated conditions, particularly the inability to provide credible and verifiable evidence, the Minister has instructed his legal team to proceed with court processes to ensure the truth is established.
The Minister further noted that he had informed Barr. Marshall that if Mrs. Ohiri could provide complete evidence, logs and communications from the relevant period, some associates and well-meaning individuals were willing to contribute ₦1 billion. He added that the Minister is still awaiting the submission of such evidence.
The statement also highlighted that the Minister had, for years, maintained silence despite repeated provocations and public attacks, a decision described as deliberate and guided by his focus on state and national service. However, it said recent developments have made it necessary for him to respond.
It added that the Minister expressed appreciation to Nigerians who have examined the matter and reached informed conclusions, noting a growing awareness that not all self-proclaimed victims are genuine, and that narratives can sometimes be misrepresented.
Umahi maintained that he would not be distracted by the allegations and remains focused on his duties at the Ministry of Works.
“The focus remains on results, service, and ensuring that Nigerians continue to benefit from projects that improve connectivity, economic growth, and national development,” the statement added.
He reaffirmed that the administration would continue to pursue its transformation agenda with dedication, transparency and a strong sense of responsibility.
