UPDATE: BENIN REPUBLIC MILITARY COUP FAILS

Read Time:1 Minute, 5 Second

– President Talon declared safe

– National TV Station secured

 

By ‘Leke Yusuf

 

Benin’s government says loyalist soldiers and national guards have regained control after a group of soldiers announced on state television that they had seized power in an apparent coup attempt.

Foreign Minister Olushegun Adjadi Bakari said on Sunday that the coup plotters had taken control of state TV only and that the signal had been cut for several minutes

 

Earlier, soldiers calling themselves the ‘Military Committee for Refoundation’ said they had ousted President Patrice Talon of Benin Republic. The group of soldiers was led by Lieutenant-Colonel Pascal Tigri.

 

A group of military officers in Benin Republic had allegedly seized control of the government, announcing the dissolution of the government and removal of President Patrice Talon and all political officeholders on state TV.

 

The group, stated that all state institutions have been dissolved. President Talon, who has been in power since 2016, was expected to step down in 2026 after the presidential election.

 

The French Embassy had said on X that “gunfire was reported at Camp Guezo” near the president’s official residence. It urged French citizens to remain indoors for security.

 

Talon was due to step down next April after 10 years in power.

More details shortly.

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %