Late Uchenna Eleazer Ikonne was a Nigerian professor of optometry.
He was born on August 15, 1956; and died at the age of 66, on January 25, 2023.
In December 2015 he became the 7th Substantive Vice-Chancellor of the Abia State University, having previously served as the Rector, Abia State Polytechnic, Aba – (on Rescue Mission) 2014–2015.
Ikonne was born in Agburuike, Nsulu in Isiala Ngwa North, Abia State. After attending Ngwa High School in Aba of Abia State, he studied optometry at Manila Central University, Philippines.
He also graduated from a specialist master’s degree programme in Hospital Administration at St. Jude College, also in the Philippines, and on his return to Nigeria in 1985, served as consulting optometrist at the Park Lane General Hospital, Enugu, and obtained a Doctor of Philosophy degree in Environmental Health Science from Abia State University
From 2010 to 2014, Ikonne served as the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic), Abia State University after then served as Rector, Abia State Polytechnic, Aba – (on Rescue Mission). He became the 7th Substantive Vice-Chancellor, Abia State University in December 2015.
He also attained the following positions:
- Head, Department of Optometry – Abia State University
- Director, Institute for Distance Education, Abia State University
- Acting Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences, Abia State University
- Deputy Provost, College of Medicine & Health Sciences, Abia State University
- Member, Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians Registration Board of Nigeria from 1993 to date
- Chairman of the Education Committee, 1993 to date
- Chairman, Disciplinary Committee, 2007 to date
- Vice-Chairman, Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians Registration Board of Nigeria, 2009 to date
- Registrar, Nigerian Postgraduate College of Optometrists
- Professor Ikonne won the African Optometric Educator Award of the year 2003 and the Distinguished merit Award of the Nigerian Optometric Association, 2006
Married to Barrister Lady Uzoamaka G. Uche Ikonne, the union produced two sons.
Ikonne emerged as the gubernatorial candidate of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Abia State at the governorship primary election held at the Umuahia Township Stadium, beating his two remaining challengers to pick the 2023 governorship ticket.
Chairman of the PDP governorship primary for Abia State, Chief Ayo Fayose who announced the outcome of the primary poll, said that Prof Ikonne scored 468 votes to beat his closest rival, Lucky Igbokwe, who got 45 votes out of the total 554 votes cast.The only female aspirant, Mrs. Ezenwanyi Ngozi Jonah got five votes.
“I hereby present to the people of Abia State, Prof Uche Ikonne, who has satisfied all the requirements to become the candidate of PDP,” Fayose said.