
MARITIME WORKERS TO SHUT SEAPORTS FOR NLC PROTEST
The Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria said it will join the two-day nationwide protest being organised by the Nigeria Labour Congress.
This was contained in a statement on Monday by the Head of Media, MWUN, Kennedy Ikemefuna.
Ikemefuna said the move was necessary following the directive of NLC that its affiliate members across the nation should strictly comply.
It was reported that on February 16, the NLC announced the nationwide protest scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday over the alleged government’s failure to implement agreements reached between both parties on October 2, 2023, following the removal of the fuel subsidy.
The decision followed the conclusion of a 14-day ultimatum issued to the Federal Government to implement measures against the widespread hardship.
Ikechukwu said, “The MWUN would join the Nigeria Labour Congress’s two-day nationwide protest holding on the 27-28th of February 2024, as directed by the congress after its NEC-in-session meeting held on Monday, in Abuja, directing all its affiliate members across the nation to strictly comply.”
He added that the protest is coming against the backdrop of the Federal Government’s refusal to honour the October 2023 agreement signed with the congress.
“The congress believes that if the agreement had been honoured and implemented, it would have gone a long way to ameliorate the sufferings and hardships of the ill-conceived and ill- ill-implemented policies have brought upon Nigerian Workers and the citizenry of the country,” Ikechukwu said.
He also added that the MWUN as an affiliate of the NLC would comply with the NLC directive.
More Stories
LESOTHO BEARS THE BRUNT AS NEW US TARIFFS SHAKE AFRICA
The small African kingdom of Lesotho said Thursday it would “urgently” send a government delegation to the United States to...
OVER 60% OF CORRUPTION CASES LINKED TO HEALTHCARE, INFRASTRUCTURE FUNDS — ICPC
The Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, Musa Aliyu (SAN), has revealed that over 60...
UK COURT ORDERS TRUMP TO PAY £625K OVER FAILED LAWSUIT
The High Court in London on Thursday ordered US President Donald Trump to pay £625,000 ($741,000) in legal costs after...
FERNANDEZ FIRES CHELSEA INTO FOURTH, PILING PRESSURE ON POSTECOGLOU
Chelsea climbed to fourth place in the Premier League as Enzo Fernandez sealed a 1-0 win that piled pressure on...
COURT BARS POLICE, DSS FROM ARRESTING FUBARA’S CHIEF OF STAFF
A Rivers State High Court in Port Harcourt has barred the Nigerian Police and the Department of State Services from...
I’LL SOON EXPOSE SEXUAL ASSAULT EVIDENCE AGAINST AKPABIO — NATASHA
Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan of Kogi Central Senatorial District says she will soon present evidence of sexual harassment against Senate President...