LAGOS GOVT ARRAIGNS NURTW CHIEFTAIN ‘SHAMELON’ OVER ALLEGED KILLING OF DISPATCH RIDER
By Aishat Momoh. O.

The Lagos State Government on Wednesday arraigned a National Union of Road Transport Workers chieftain, Shamsudeen Oladiti, popularly known as “Shamelon,” before the Lagos State High Court sitting in Ikeja over the alleged involuntary manslaughter of a dispatch motorcycle rider, Ramon Imam.
Oladiti, 55, was arraigned on a three-count charge bordering on involuntary manslaughter, conspiracy, and attempted murder.
The prosecution counsel, Jubril Kareem, told the court that the offences were allegedly committed between August 27 and September 17, 2025, at Lewis Street, Lagos Island.
According to the prosecutor, the defendant and other suspects still at large allegedly conspired on September 17, 2025, at about 10 a.m. to commit a felony.
Kareem further alleged that later that same day, at about 3 p.m., Oladiti caused the death of Ramon Imam by assaulting him with fist blows and repeated strikes to the head and face.
The prosecutor also accused the defendant of attempting to murder one Samuel Omale on August 27, 2025, by allegedly inflicting severe injuries on him through physical assault at the same location.
According to the prosecution, the offences contravened Sections 224, 411, and 230 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015.
However, Oladiti pleaded not guilty to all charges preferred against him.
Following his plea, defence counsel, Olanrewaju Ajanaku, informed the court that he had filed a bail application dated April 27, 2026, and confirmed that the prosecution had been served.
“May we humbly place an application for bail. The same has been served, and my learned friend has confirmed the same,” Ajanaku told the court.
Responding, Kareem acknowledged receipt of the application and stated that the prosecution had no objection.
He, however, noted that the defence was requesting that the court direct correctional authorities to verify the defendant’s medical condition.
Ajanaku urged the court to grant the request and order the correctional centre to confirm Oladiti’s medical status.
In a brief ruling, Justice Olawale Alebiosu granted the application and directed the Controller of Corrections at Kirikiri to confirm the defendant’s medical condition at a Lagos State Government hospital.
The court had earlier declined a previous bail application filed by the defendant due to errors in the application.
Justice Alebiosu subsequently adjourned the case till June 15, 2026, for trial.
