
UPDATE: COURT UPHOLDS FG’S ‘NO WORK, NO PAY’ RULE AGAINST ASUU
The Federal Government’s “no work, no pay” policy was maintained by the National Industrial Court in a case brought against the Academic Staff Union of Universities.
In a ruling handed down by Justice Benedict Kanyip, the court’s president, today (Tuesday), the court ruled that the Federal Government has the power to withhold wages from employees who engage in industrial action.
It was decided that the no work, no pay policy used by the federal government to penalize ASUU members who went on strike the previous year is legitimate.
The Federal Government’s attempt to impose the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System platform on ASUU members who reserve the right to choose how their wages should be paid, according to the court, is a violation of university autonomy.
The National Industrial Court had been summoned by the Federal Government after the ASUU demanded payment of its members’ salaries from February 14 to October 7, 2022, the date the strike was called off.
During the previous Muhammadu Buhari administration, the FG refused to pay the academics’ wages for the entire time they were on strike and insisted on following its “no work, no pay” policy instead. ASUU insisted on receiving compensation for all the months they went on strike.
More Stories
I’LL SOON EXPOSE SEXUAL ASSAULT EVIDENCE AGAINST AKPABIO — NATASHA
Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan of Kogi Central Senatorial District says she will soon present evidence of sexual harassment against Senate President...
INEC NOT PARTISAN IN NATASHA’S FAILED RECALL – SPOKESPERSON
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has denied being partisan in handling the failed recall of the Senator representing Kogi...
EDO GUBER TRIBUNAL JUDGMENT BETRAYS JUDICIAL IMPARTIALITY — PDP
The National leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has described the judgment of the Edo State Governorship Election Petition...
“WE WERE HELD WITH HYENAS, SNAKES” – GENERAL TSIGA RECOUNTS KIDNAP ORDEAL
Former Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brigadier General Maharazu Tsiga (rtd), who spent over two months in...
NATASHA HAILS INEC, MOCKS RIVALS OVER FAILED RECALL BID
The lawmaker representing Kogi Central, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, on Thursday, commended the Independent National Electoral Commission for rejecting the process...
I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT INDEPENDENCE BRIDGE CLOSURE – UMAHI
The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has said that he was unaware of the closure of the Independence Bridge in...