KWANKWASO CONDEMNS MAIDUGURI BOMBINGS, CALLS FOR SWIFT ACTION AGAINST TERRORISTS

By: Balogun Ibrahim
Former Kano State Governor, Rabiu Kwankwaso, has mourned victims of the recent suicide bombings in Maiduguri, which reportedly killed 23 people and injured more than 100 others.
In a statement issued Tuesday, Kwankwaso described the attacks as horrific and a major setback to the relative peace achieved in Borno State in recent years.
“I am deeply saddened by the horrific multiple suicide bombings in Maiduguri, Borno State, which claimed the lives of 23 innocent people and injured over 100 others, as confirmed by the Nigeria Police Force,” he said.
He also warned that the incident signals a troubling resurgence of terrorism in Nigeria’s North-East region.
“These latest attacks, coming on the heels of other recent incidents in Borno, point to a troubling resurgence of senseless terrorism that threatens the fragile peace communities have worked hard to rebuild after years of relative calm. This must not be allowed to continue,” the statement added.
The former Kano State governor, Rabiu Kwankwaso, urged both federal and state authorities to take immediate and decisive steps to address the worsening security situation, stressing the need to strengthen support for security agencies.
“Now is not the time for defensiveness or complacency. Our gallant armed forces must be fully empowered to take bold, proactive action against these enemies of Nigeria,” he said.
He further called on authorities to equip security forces with the necessary resources and support to effectively combat terrorist activities.
“The Federal and State governments must spare no effort in providing the resources and support needed to enable our troops to decisively dismantle these terrorist networks,” he said.
The former Kano State governor, Rabiu Kwankwaso, also extended his condolences to the victims, their families, and the people of Borno State.
“My thoughts are with the bereaved families, the injured, and all residents of Borno State. I offer my deepest sympathies to the government and citizens during this difficult time,” he added.
According to reports, the explosions occurred on Monday evening at about 7:02 p.m., when multiple improvised explosive devices detonated almost simultaneously at the popular Monday Market area and near a security post at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital.
Confirming the incident, Mohammed Kafaran, Head of Operations of the Federal Fire Service in Borno State, said emergency responders were swiftly deployed to the scene.
He said a bomb explosion was reported at the Monday Market area around Elkanemi, adding that teams had been sent to assess the situation, with further details expected.
Eyewitnesses said the blasts triggered panic across the area, leaving several casualties, while the injured were rushed to nearby medical facilities, including the State Specialist Hospital in Maiduguri, for treatment.
