WIKE ORDERS PROBE, SEALS OFF ABUJA BUILDING COLLAPSE SITE AFTER FIVE DIE
By Aishat Momoh. O.

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has ordered a full investigation into the building collapse in Abuja that claimed five lives and left several others injured over the weekend.
Wike also directed the immediate sealing off of the affected construction site.
The incident involved a three-storey building under construction which collapsed on Saturday morning in the Durumi 3 area near Gudu Market within the Abuja Municipal Area Council.
Speaking during a visit to the scene on Monday, the minister described the tragedy as unfortunate and disclosed that enforcement actions, including arrests linked to the project, had already commenced.
According to Wike, preliminary reports confirmed that five persons lost their lives, while several others were rescued from the rubble.
“From the report I got, we lost five people and some lives were saved. It’s very pathetic. Nobody is happy when you lose somebody,” he said.
He added that authorities would immediately begin a comprehensive investigation to determine the cause of the collapse and whether established building regulations were violated.
“The Department of Development Control has sealed off the premises. We are going to set up a panel to really look at what happened.
“One of the engineers has been arrested already. From there, we will get to the developer, and he or she will be arrested,” Wike stated.
The minister explained that the Federal Capital Territory Administration had taken over the investigation, while development control officials had already commenced preliminary assessments.
He warned developers against obstructing regulatory agencies responsible for monitoring construction projects in the capital city, noting that such interference often contributes to safety failures and misinformation.
Wike stressed the importance of complying with building regulations, including proper soil testing and the use of approved construction materials, to avoid preventable disasters.
“In the construction of buildings, we must know the quality. What materials are they using? Are they doing the soil test? What is the result of the soil test? Can it allow for two floors or three floors? All these are very key,” he said.
The minister further lamented the loss of lives, stressing that no compensation could replace the victims.
“How can you buy back these lives? They are gone. That is the responsibility of government: to protect life and property,” he added.
