Nigerian burnt to death in South Africa
A Nigerian has been burnt to death in Rustenburg, South Africa, after his vehicle was set ablaze by yet-to-be identified people.
He has not been identified.
However, the country’s North West police did not believe the incident was related to violent protests in the area this week, according to media reports on Sunday.
Two vehicles were set alight in two separate incidents by a group of unidentified people, multiple reports said.
No one had been arrested and police were investigating, the South African Broadcasting Corporation reported police spokesperson Ofentse Mokgadi as having said.
“We can confirm that in two separate incidents, two vehicles were burnt by unknown suspects. In one of the incidents, a man sustained serious burn wound injuries after being set alight. He later died in hospital.
“At this stage a motive is unknown and police are still investigating,” the broadcaster added.
Calm returned to the area after days of protests calling for the removal of North West Premier Supra Mahumapelo.
The killing of the Nigerian came less than 10 days after another Nigerian ThankGod Okoro, 30, from Ogbaku in the Awgu Local Government Area of Enugu State was murdered.
Records show that no fewer than 117 Nigerians have been killed in South Africa since February, 2016.
Unofficial estimates put the number of Nigerians residing in South Africa at about 800,000 majority of whom are young people.
Source: Today NG
More Stories
CRIME: COURT JAILS US-BOUND TRAVELLER FOR UNDECLARED $20,000, ORDERS FORFEITURE TO FG
Olusola Okunfulure, a traveler headed to the United States, was found guilty of money laundering and given a three-month prison...
CRIME: BANDITS KILL 12 FARMERS IN SOKOTO COMMUNITY
At Lugu town in the Isa Local Government area of Sokoto state, terrorists purportedly commanded by Bello Turji, a highly...
SECURITY: NEIGHBOURHOOD SAFETY CORPS APPREHENDS TWO THIEVES IN IKORODU
During the Eid-el-Fitr celebrations in Lagos, officers from the Ikorodu Command of the Lagos State Neighbourhood Safety Corps arrested two...
SPORTS: KENYA ANNOUNCES STRINGENT DRUG TESTS FOR TOKYO WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
Kenyan athletes are to be drug-tested three times to qualify for selection to this summer’s world championships in Tokyo as...
TINUBU’S REFORMS WILL YIELD POSITIVE RESULTS FOR ALL – DABIRI-EREWA
Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman/CEO Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) has assured that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s perceived tough reforms and...
THREE SISTERS DIE AFTER EATING POISONED EGG SAUCE IN DELTA, STEPMOTHER ADMITS TO KILLING THEM
Three sisters from the same parents have reportedly died in their home after consuming poisoned egg sauce prepared by their...