EX-ARSENAL MIDFIELDER, PARTEY GRANTED BAIL ON RAPE, ASSAULT CHARGES

By: Sefiu Ajape
Former Arsenal midfielder, Thomas Partey, was granted conditional bail on Tuesday following his appearance at a London court over multiple rape and sexual assault charges.
The 32-year-old Ghanaian has been accused of five counts of rape involving two women and one count of sexual assault against a third woman.
The alleged incidents occurred between 2021 and 2022 during his time with Arsenal.
His court appearance comes just four days after his departure from the club, following the expiration of his contract in June.
Partey appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court dressed in a black zip-neck jumper, standing in the dock with his hands behind his back.
British police revealed that the first report of rape was made in February 2022.
Partey’s lawyer, Jenny Wiltshire, previously said he “denies all the charges against him”, adding he welcomed “the opportunity to finally clear his name”.
Partey joined Arsenal for £45 million ($60 million) from Atletico Madrid in October 2020.
He appeared 52 times for the Gunners last season, scoring four goals. Overall, he played 167 games for the club, scoring nine times.
Partey has also made 51 appearances for Ghana.
An Arsenal spokesman previously said: “The player’s contract ended on June 30. Due to ongoing legal proceedings, the club is unable to comment on the case.”
Reports in recent days have linked Partey with a move to Spanish club Villarreal.
