TRUMP CLAIMS KILLINGS IN IRAN HAVE CEASED; TEHRAN DENIES ANY INTENTION TO CARRY OUT HANGINGS

Read Time:2 Minute, 56 Second

By: Fasasi Hammad

US President Donald Trump said Wednesday he had been informed that the killings of protesters in Iran had stopped, but he cautioned that he would “watch it and see” regarding potential military action.

In recent days, Trump had repeatedly signaled support for the Iranian people amid protests that rights groups say have left at least 3,428 dead. However, in a surprise White House statement, he said “very important sources on the other side” assured him that Tehran had halted the killings and would not carry out planned executions.

“They’ve said the killing has stopped and the executions won’t take place — there were supposed to be a lot of executions today — and we’re going to find out,” Trump said, offering no details and noting that the US had yet to verify the claims. When asked whether military action was now off the table, he responded: “We’re going to watch it and see what the process is.”

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi later told Fox News there would be “no hanging today or tomorrow,” while accusing Israel of orchestrating violence, without presenting evidence. Araghchi said protests over economic hardship, which began on December 28, devolved into violence between January 7 and 10 due to “external elements” aiming to provoke US intervention.

Iran’s Minister of Justice Amin Hossein Rahimi echoed the claim, describing arrests after January 7 as targeting criminals rather than peaceful protesters. Meanwhile, a rights group said the execution of 26-year-old Erfan Soltani, arrested during the protests, would not proceed as scheduled.

The United Nations announced a Security Council briefing on Thursday at the request of the US to discuss the situation in Iran.

Trump’s comments sent oil prices tumbling Thursday as concerns over potential supply disruptions eased. Iran accounts for roughly three percent of global oil production.

Araghchi claimed the government was “in full control” and described a post-protest atmosphere of “calm” after three days of what he called “terrorist operations.” Iranian officials also warned against any US attack. Ali Shamkhani, advisor to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said Iran had demonstrated its “will and capability to respond to any attack,” referencing a US-targeted strike on the Al Udeid base in Qatar last June.

READ ALSO:

TURKEY STANDS FIRMLY AGAINST THE USE OF MILITARY FORCE AGAINST IRAN

Regional tensions remained high. The UK temporarily closed its embassy in Tehran, the US embassy in Saudi Arabia urged caution, and India advised its citizens to leave Iran. Lufthansa announced flights would avoid Iranian and Iraqi airspace “until further notice.”

The protests, the largest since the Islamic Republic’s founding in 1979, began over economic hardship and have continued despite a five-day internet blackout. Iranian authorities have arrested more than 10,000 people, with some facing charges of “waging war against God.” Security forces reportedly killed at least 3,428 protesters, according to Iran Human Rights.

Authorities held a funeral for over 100 security personnel and “martyrs” killed in the unrest, which officials labeled “acts of terror.” The G7 expressed alarm over the high death toll and warned of potential sanctions if the crackdown continues. Monitor NetBlocks confirmed Iran’s internet blackout lasted 144 hours, during which videos verified by AFP showed bodies at Tehran’s Kahrizak morgue.

The US-based Institute for the Study of War noted that Iranian authorities are employing “an unprecedented level of brutality” to suppress protests, which have sharply declined since the crackdown.

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %