TINUBU UNVEILS SPECIAL ARMED FORCES FUND, DONATES ENTIRE SALARIES ON 74TH BIRTHDAY
By ‘Sefiu Ajape

President Bola Tinubu has announced the establishment of a special fund to support members of the Armed Forces, including wounded personnel and families of fallen soldiers, as he marked his 74th birthday.
The President disclosed this in a statement on Sunday, noting that he has directed the Accountant-General of the Federation to create a dedicated account for the initiative.
“On this my 74th birthday, I celebrate the valiant men and women of our Armed Forces,” Tinubu said.
He stated that the fund would cater to personnel injured in the line of duty and dependents of those who died while serving the country.
“Today, I have directed the Accountant-General of the Federation to establish a special account for a fund dedicated to those who serve, those wounded in the line of duty, and the families of those who have paid the ultimate price,” he stated.
Tinubu also pledged to donate his personal earnings since assuming office as seed funding for the initiative.
“As a personal commitment, all my salaries since assuming office will be paid into this account as seed funding, irrespective of existing insurance and welfare schemes for members of our armed forces,” he said.
He called on governors, lawmakers, private sector players, and other stakeholders to support the initiative.
“I call on our Governors, members of the National Assembly, the private sector, my friends and all well-wishers to support this initiative. Details of the account will be made available in due course,” the President added.
Tinubu stressed the need to recognise the sacrifices of military personnel and their families.
“We must never forget those who stand in harm’s way for our peace, nor the sacrifices borne by their families. This is not charity. It is duty. And we will fulfil it,” he said.
PUNCH Online had earlier reported that Tinubu chose to mark his 74th birthday with a low-key celebration, citing the prevailing national mood and ongoing challenges facing the country.
In a personally signed statement released on Sunday, the President thanked Nigerians for their goodwill messages and support, noting that such encouragement continues to strengthen his administration.
