ALEXANDER-ARNOLD BACKS VINÍCIUS AFTER ALLEGED RACIST INCIDENT

Read Time:1 Minute, 59 Second

By: Fasasi Hammad

Trent Alexander-Arnold condemned what he described as “disgusting” alleged racist abuse aimed at team-mate Vinícius Júnior, whose stunning second-half strike secured Real Madrid a vital 1-0 win over Benfica in their UEFA Champions League play-off first leg on Tuesday.

The match was halted for more than 10 minutes under the competition’s racism protocol after Vinícius accused Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni of racially abusing him.

“It’s disgusting. What happened tonight is a disgrace for football. It’s ruined the night for the team,” said the former Liverpool defender.

Real forward Kylian Mbappé urged authorities to take firm action, insisting Prestianni should be banned if found guilty.

“We cannot accept a player behaving like this in Europe’s top competition,” said the France captain. “He doesn’t deserve to play in the Champions League again.”

Vinícius had broken the deadlock in the 50th minute before celebrating in front of the home supporters in Lisbon, a gesture that angered sections of the crowd and some Benfica players. Following a heated exchange with Prestianni, the Brazilian informed referee François Letexier — who had earlier booked him for his celebration — that he had been called “mono,” the Spanish word for monkey.

Midfielder Aurélien Tchouaméni later confirmed that Vinícius reported being subjected to racist language.

Benfica coach José Mourinho said Prestianni denied the accusation and criticised Vinícius for provoking fans with his celebration. Mourinho was later sent off after protesting that the Brazilian should have received a second yellow card.

“There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium — wherever Vinícius plays, something happens,” Mourinho said.

Real captain Federico Valverde backed his team-mate, saying those nearby heard Prestianni say “something ugly” that should not be repeated. He noted that the Benfica player had covered his mouth during the exchange, suggesting inappropriate remarks were made.

“I’m proud of how Vini handled it,” Valverde said. “He kept going, delivered a spectacular performance and that’s what I’ll remember.”

The 25-year-old Vinícius has previously been the target of racist abuse in Spain, including incidents involving opposition fans that have led to criminal convictions.

Despite the disruption and clashes between both benches — which resulted in a red card for a member of Real’s staff — the game resumed after the delay, with Madrid holding on to secure a crucial first-leg advantage.

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %