LAGOS POLICE ARREST 39 SUSPECTS, RECOVER FIREARMS, DRUGS, STOLEN PROPERTY IN AUGUST OPERATIONS (PHOTOS)

Read Time:5 Minute, 23 Second
By ‘Sefiu Ajape 

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested 39 suspects and recovered firearms, ammunition, suspected Indian hemp, stolen property and other exhibits in various intelligence-led operations across the state in August.

The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, CP Tijani Olayiwola Fatai, disclosed this on Thursday during a press briefing at the Command Headquarters in Ikeja, Lagos.

According to Fatai, the arrests were made in connection with stealing, robbery, vandalism, cultism and other criminal activities, including the vandalism of the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway and the Third Mainland Bridge.

Among the exhibits recovered during the operations were vandalised irons and cables, a truck loaded with cartons of spaghetti, one double-barrel long gun, 14 locally made pistols, one live cartridge, seven cutlasses, 16 knives, 13 bags of substances suspected to be Indian hemp, a POS machine, assorted charms and a laptop.

Police Arrest Suspects Over Coastal Road Vandalism

Fatai said 10 suspects were arrested on August 17 following intelligence gathered during investigations into the repeated vandalism of the newly constructed Coastal Road.

He said vandalised iron materials were recovered during the operation, while preliminary investigations indicated that the suspects were linked to the “incessant vandalism of the Coastal Road infrastructure.”

“The suspects have also made statements regarding their alleged involvement in the offence,” the Commissioner said.

The Command, he added, was working with relevant authorities to ensure that those responsible for the destruction and theft of public infrastructure were brought to justice.

Third Mainland Bridge Vandalism

The Police also arrested a 28-year-old man, Chidiebere Ochiri, over the alleged vandalism and theft of government-installed CCTV camera cables, irons and other infrastructure on the Third Mainland Bridge.

According to Fatai, the suspect allegedly confessed during interrogation to vandalising and carting away cables connecting CCTV cameras and irons installed along the bridge and its environs.

The suspect allegedly told investigators that he had been involved in the activity for several months and sold vandalised copper wires to scavengers and scrap dealers for about ₦12,000 per kilogramme.

One quantity of copper wire was recovered as an exhibit, while investigation continues to identify his alleged accomplices and trace the scrap dealers receiving the stolen materials.

Firearms Recovered From Suspected Robbery Suspect

The Command also arrested a 22-year-old suspect, Olamide Suleiman, during a stop-and-search operation in the Aguda area of Lagos.

Fatai said Suleiman was initially found in possession of a substance suspected to be Indian hemp, while a search of his bag at the station led to the recovery of a locally made pistol and one cartridge.

The suspect allegedly told investigators that the pistol belonged to one Emir, who was subsequently traced to a hotel.

Police said a double-barrel gun was recovered from the room allegedly occupied by Emir, who remains at large.

Suspected Cultists Arrested

The Command also reported several arrests linked to suspected cult activities.

On August 18, operatives arrested Ibrahim Abidogun, 35, popularly known as “Shifon,” who was described by the Police as a suspected member of the Aiye Confraternity.

A search of his residence led to the recovery of a locally made pistol.

In another operation at a dumpsite in Isolo, two suspected cultists, Sodiq Omotunde, 33, and Adeyemo Bilyaminu, 28, were arrested, with a locally made single-barrel pistol recovered.

Police also arrested four suspected cultists—Segun Hammed, 38; Adebite Afeez, 33; Daniel Olawale, 42; and Kazeem Babatunde, 43—in the Ijeshatedo area.

The operation followed information that suspected members of the Eiye Confraternity had assembled at the location to mark an annual celebration and allegedly initiate new members.

Two cutlasses and one battle axe were recovered during the operation.

Police Recover Truck Loaded With Spaghetti

In another operation, Police arrested a trailer driver, Amisu Isah, following information that a trailer loaded with goods had been parked in front of a church in Egbeda.

The information indicated that mini-trucks were arriving at the location to evacuate some of the goods from the trailer.

Police said operatives who responded to the location confirmed the report and arrested the driver, while a second truck allegedly carrying some of the transloaded goods fled the scene.

An Acura SUV allegedly used by one of the fleeing suspects was recovered.

A search of the trailer revealed cartons of spaghetti, while intelligence-led follow-up later led to the arrest of another suspect identified as Emmanuel.

The Police said investigation was ongoing to establish the ownership and destination of the goods, identify other persons involved and recover the remaining items.

Suspected Armed Robbers Arrested

The Command also arrested two suspected armed robbers, Hammed Oniyi, 25, and Qudus Lawal, 19, following information that Oniyi was allegedly in possession of firearms and using them to rob members of the public.

Two locally made single-barrel pistols were recovered during the operation.

Police said preliminary investigation indicated that Oniyi was allegedly a member of the Aiye Confraternity and that the firearm was reportedly given to him by a person who is currently at large.

Fatai said efforts were ongoing to apprehend other suspects at large, adding that the cases would be charged to court upon conclusion of investigations.

The Commissioner said the arrests and recoveries formed part of the Command’s broader strategy of intelligence-led policing, targeted operations, surveillance and prompt response to credible information.

He assured residents that the Police would continue to disrupt criminal networks and protect lives and property across Lagos State.

“All suspects will be subjected to diligent investigation, and those found culpable will be prosecuted in accordance with the law, with their fundamental rights duly respected,” Fatai said.

The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos State, Engr. Olufemi Dare, who represented the Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi, was also present at the briefing.

Dare commended the Police for its efforts in protecting critical infrastructure and said the Federal Government was taking tougher measures against the vandalism of the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway.

He disclosed that vandals had stolen 1,800 manhole covers, vandalised about one kilometre of clear-view fencing and removed about 75 directional signs from the highway since January.

See videos below:

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %