TCHOUAMENI HAILS REAL MADRID SUCCESS AS WIN FOR ANTI-RACISM

By: Fasasi Hammad
Real Madrid midfielder Aurélien Tchouaméni described his team’s 2-1 victory over Benfica on Wednesday, which secured their place in the Champions League last 16, as a triumph for “everyone who is against racism.”
The French midfielder was referring to the first leg of the play-off tie, won 1-0 by Madrid last week, which was overshadowed by alleged racial abuse directed at Vinicius Junior by Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni.
“We didn’t play our best match of the season, that’s for sure. But there are things more important than this game, and more important than football,” Tchouaméni told reporters.
Vinicius scored Madrid’s second goal at the Santiago Bernabéu, and Tchouaméni reiterated that the result was a “victory for everyone who is against racism.”
UEFA provisionally suspended Prestianni for the match while the incident is under investigation, and Benfica’s appeal against his suspension was rejected earlier on Wednesday.
Vinicius celebrated the outcome on social media, posting a photo of a large banner at the Bernabéu reading “no to racism” with the caption, “The dance continues.”
Real Madrid also reported ejecting one of their own supporters for performing a Nazi salute before the game.
READ MORE:
NORTH-CENTRAL APC DEMANDS THOROUGH VETTING OF CONVENTION ASPIRANTS BY TINUBU
“This club member was identified by our security staff moments after appearing on television and was immediately expelled from the Santiago Bernabéu stadium,” the club said in a statement. “Real Madrid condemns this type of gesture and expression that incites violence and hatred in sports and society.”
Coach Álvaro Arbeloa expressed his happiness at Vinicius’ goal.
“(I reacted) with joy, obviously, for the great goal he scored, and because it was him—he deserves it,” Arbeloa said. “Without Kylian Mbappé, I think it’s even more important, and I am very happy for him.”
Mbappé, the French superstar, had been sidelined ahead of the game to recover from a knee problem. Arbeloa explained:
“After yesterday’s session, we spoke with the doctors and decided it was best for him to rest, recover fully, and return in top form, confident and without discomfort for everything ahead.”
When asked about the severity of the issue, Arbeloa added, “I think we can call it an injury, but it doesn’t seem serious. Hopefully, he’ll be back in a few days or weeks.”
